22 inch Toro self propelled

wrigley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Recently purchased and used roughly 10 times since new. There is a load squealing noise that just started when engaging the self propelled feature. The mower works fine. The noise is there whether the front wheels are on the ground or off the ground.

Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take it back to the dealer or if you bought from a big box store to a Toro dealer for warranty work. Either the belt is no engaging properly or you have something caught in the pulley. This should be covered unless they find something jammed in the pulley.

wrigley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would take it back to the dealer or if you bought from a big box store to a Toro dealer for warranty work. Either the belt is no engaging properly or you have something caught in the pulley. This should be covered unless they find something jammed in the pulley.

Thanks
It works just fine. I tipped it on its side to check out the pulley engagement and the belt itself. The noise is so loud you can hear it over the operation of the motor. I'm wondering if the "drive" transmission itself could be going bad.

Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Squealing is normally caused by the belt. If it were the tranny you would hear a grinding sound.