22 inch or 30 inch walk behind mower?

wdrdoctor

Threads
I currently have a 22 inch self propelled mower that I use in my lawn business.
Will I really save a lot more time by using a toro 30 inch ?
I use my zero turn mower mostly,but I do have a few backyards that I need to use my 22 inch to mow.
If a back yard takes 30 minutes to mow with my 22 inch, how much time will I cut off by using a 30 inch?

LoCo86

Threads
I currently have a 22 inch self propelled mower that I use in my lawn business. Will I really save a lot more time by using a toro 30 inch ? I use my zero turn mower mostly,but I do have a few backyards that I need to use my 22 inch to mow. If a back yard takes 30 minutes to mow with my 22 inch, how much time will I cut off by using a 30 inch?

If you only use it one a few yards then it wouldn't be worth buying a 30" for the few minutes you will shave off of your mowing time if any.

wdrdoctor

Threads
I'm going to be replacing my 22 inch because it is wore out. I'm just debating on buying another 22 inch for $300-$500 , or buy a toro 30 inch and pay $1,000 ?
This will be my only backup if my zero turn mower breaks down.

Mike88se

Threads
I'm going to be replacing my 22 inch because it is wore out. I'm just debating on buying another 22 inch for $300-$500 , or buy a toro 30 inch and pay $1,000 ?
This will be my only backup if my zero turn mower breaks down.

I'm guessing you work alone? Get the 30" is my advice.

wdrdoctor

Threads
Yes, I work alone. One of my customers wants their grass bagged. My dixie chopper doesn't bag grass,so I have to use my 22 inch walk behind.
I also have several other customers that I have to use a walk behind to mow their back yards due to super small gate doors.
The other thing that's driving me a little nuts is spending the price difference between the toro timemaster vs toro turfmaster.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I currently have a 22 inch self propelled mower that I use in my lawn business.
Will I really save a lot more time by using a toro 30 inch ?
I use my zero turn mower mostly,but I do have a few backyards that I need to use my 22 inch to mow.
If a back yard takes 30 minutes to mow with my 22 inch, how much time will I cut off by using a 30 inch?

A 30" can save you a lot of time over the 22" about a third.

Yes, I work alone. One of my customers wants their grass bagged. My dixie chopper doesn't bag grass,so I have to use my 22 inch walk behind.
I also have several other customers that I have to use a walk behind to mow their back yards due to super small gate doors.
The other thing that's driving me a little nuts is spending the price difference between the toro timemaster vs toro turfmaster.

You,re talking about 30lbs difference between the two. The Turfmaster with the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI engine is the commercial machine to have. It has the best cut of any self propelled mower that I've ever used. I purchased mine when they first came out and its paid for itself already, it was the best money I've ever spent. For the money difference you wont be sorry or go wrong. For me there's no comparison between it and the Timemaster. The problem with the Time-master is the Briggs engine, it doesn't have enough power for a 30" mower. If you're a Homeowner and can take your time cutting your lawn the Timemaster isn't bad but for a business where time is money the Turf-Master is the way to go.

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
Error

Great machine, but the commercial unit IS worth the extra cash! IMO

Cubby_Cadet007

Forum Newbie
Threads

Maybe you could just lose those few customers wich point of entry would oblige you to buy special mowers?:wink:

Mike88se

Threads
Maybe you could just lose those few customers wich point of entry would oblige you to buy special mowers?:wink:

Sure, but do the math first and see whether you lose or gain financially. There are only 3 reasons I want to lose customers.
A. they don't increase my income.
B. Their lawns are so crappy that they have a great potential to damage my equipment.
C. They are such jerks that I don't want to bother with them.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You never want to lose a customer at any point. Specialty equipment can make or break a business, to be without it can cost you clients and money.

Sure, but do the math first and see whether you lose or gain financially. There are only 3 reasons I want to lose customers.
A. they don't increase my income.
B. Their lawns are so crappy that they have a great potential to damage my equipment.
C. They are such jerks that I don't want to bother with them.

Doing the math first to see whether you lose or gain financially is fine but you need too remember your gains can show up later on the specialty equipment, something like a bed-redefiner that's priced at $600 that you may not use a lot can set you and your business apart from the other 5 or 6 outfits working the street because you can do a job they can't and client wants and your gains come at that point and the equipment pays for itself.