22 hp kohler excess oil use

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi folks, new to this forum. hope you can get me going in the right direction. my older laser w/ 22 hp kohler seems to have alot of oil coming out of the breather tube and puddling in the air filter plate. this engine has about 2500 known hours on it. [the hour meter was unplugged for a bit by the original owner] it was missfiring a bit and fouling 1 plug. i changed the coils and seems to be running fine, just a minor miss once in a while. thanks for any help offered.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us some model numbers so we can help. Kohler made a lot of engines.

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the reply. model # ch22s. spec. 66529.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take a look at the possibility of a bad head gasket. With the engine running at half throttle, unscrew the dipstick and set it loose on the tube. Does it jump up/down? If the answer is yes, you may have to replace the head gasket on the side with the fouled plug.

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks i will try later today. this has a push/pull dipstick, does that change anything? also will a bad head gasket cause it to miss once in a while?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just rest it on top. Yes it will cause rough running, depending on how badly the gasket is blown.

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
sorry i didnt respond earlier, i had to go to a derby party. no i didnt pick the winner but had fun anyway. my dipstick fits pretty tight but there seems to be quite a bit of pressure coming from the tube. enough to flap a card held 1/2 inch away. hope this helps you help me. thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you just rest the dipstick on top of the fill tube and it bounces up and down I would be changing the head gasket on the side of the fouled plug, especially if it is oil fouled. If you have the availability of a compression gauge and/or cylinder leak down tester you could double check before proceeding.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
With over 2500 hrs it sure sound like OH time to me.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm thinking the same way, but would like to see some tests done before recommend it. Tough to diagnose with out it in front of me. Not sure if I really have enough info to recommend overhaul.