21 hp vanguard v-twim swap with 17hp intek single

binckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
will the 17 hp mount right on where the v-twin was/do they has the same bolt pattern? thanks

darrinster

Threads
Yes. Just make sure the crank shaft is the same size.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No they don't
V twins mounting bolts are spaced further apart then the singles.
Vanguard V twin line drawing
https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/line_drawings/386777.pdf
17 Hp intek line drawing
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/line_drawings/219900.pdf

Genearally you can swap any engine of the same brand & type
Flat heads with flat heads
OHV's with OHV's
V twins with V twins

I repower a lot of old flathead mowers with OHV's and I always have to drill a new set of mounting holes as the OHV ones are further apart than the flat head ones.
V twins have a lot more weight on the cylinder end so those bolts need to be further out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most mowers come with more then one set of holes to mount the engine.
What mower are you working on?

binckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna model yth2148 rider

binckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks I will check to see if there are multiple mounting points

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should have two sets of holes.

One for Kohler singles & one for Briggs singles.
I find it easier to make up a pattern in fiberboard and use hat to mark out with.
It is fairly important to get the pto shaft in exactly the right spot or you end up having to reposition a lot of stuff like the drive belt guards.

binckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you saying there is a set for kohleor and one set for briggs single?What about the briggs v-twin it came with/does that mean there are 3 sets of holes for mounting

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pressings have all the holes for whatever engine options were being offered.
Press dies cost thousands and some go into the hundreds of thousands so they are made to cover as many different applications as possible..
That is why the side rails are riddled with holes as the one base gets used for dozens of different brands and different models within those brands.
I have swapped between Courage & Intek singles with no problems other than having to make a small cross over loom to accomodate different wiring plugs.
AFAIK AYP only press 3 bases in 4 different thickness of steel to cover every mower that comes out the door.
It's your mower, get under and have a look.

You asked if the 20Hp V twin will drop directly into the frame where a 17 Hp single used to reside.
One person said it will and when I checked the diagrams I notices the mounting holes were different so I alerted you to that.
I would also suggest you check the width of the engine and compare that to the width of the hood as well.

No one has chimed in with an "I did that & I had to ........" to date so it looks like you might be in pioneering territory .
So if you go through with the repower it would be greatly appreciated if you came back with the problems you faced.