21.5 HP surging problem

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are the same on both sides, so you can swap them around if needed.

Pochie

Threads
I have a 2002 I/C Intex Platinum engine. I have to modulate the engine with the choke when running without the PTO engaged...it runs 99% and when I engage the PTO...she cuts at about 85% but I have to fool with choke on and off. I use seafoam in every tank of gas....Today I dismantled the carb....cleaned it with laquar thinner and put a pin through all the orifices I could find. I couldn't get the two screws loose on the bottom of the carb but did slosh lots of thinner in it. Actually got it back together, with the help of pictures I took while taking it apart. NO CHANGE in performance. My question: can the armatures (iginition coils) have any effect on the surging? There is a full gas flow to the carb. Any other ideas. I hate to buy a new carb ($300+) and then find out I should have checked other areas. Pochie
RUNS AS NEW! I got the new carb on and ignition coils. The wire hookup to the carb wouldn't reach as the carb was turned a little different from the old one. I spliced a new wire on, had a beer and started her up. She never ran so good! Idles excellent. Did a 10 minute mow test and worked as new. The ignition coils don't fit as neatly as the old ones and I couldn't get as close a gap but she purrs like new so I don't guess there is a bigger tolerance. I was always taught to put a match cover in as a measurement. This is much larger than that. I am happy and proud I accomplished this task.:smile:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
RUNS AS NEW! I got the new carb on and ignition coils. The wire hookup to the carb wouldn't reach as the carb was turned a little different from the old one. I spliced a new wire on, had a beer and started her up. She never ran so good! Idles excellent. Did a 10 minute mow test and worked as new. The ignition coils don't fit as neatly as the old ones and I couldn't get as close a gap but she purrs like new so I don't guess there is a bigger tolerance. I was always taught to put a match cover in as a measurement. This is much larger than that. I am happy and proud I accomplished this task.:smile:
Patience is tough at times, well done!