2008 Craftsman/KOHLER SV730 25 hp Courage vertical broken Flywheel teeth?

RED7218

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2008 Craftsman/KOHLER SV730 25 hp Courage vertical broken Flywheel teeth?
Hey All,

New to the forum I worked in a hardware store small engine parts and repair shop as a teenager. I goof around and repair my own stuff and try to revive a deralict every once and a while.

Currently I'm trying to reserect a 2008 Craftsman rider w/ a Kohler courage SV730 thats broken a tooth off the flywheel. Is this a common these engines. What causes it. I noticed the flywheel is $200 bucks and a new starter is another $130. I haven't had a chance to check the bendex. Just don't want to keep feeding a dead horse..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, that is not common. I have seen it once on a metal tooth ring gear. It is more common on a plastic ring gear. I would check with the repair shops in your area. Should be able to find a used one for about $50.

chance123

Threads
Sheesh! I just threw one away. I wish I could diversify into a small engine salvage yard, but it would take up more room/time that it would be worth.

RED7218

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep looks like rubber mounted starter gear came loose from the threaded portion of the Bendix. I'm guessing the gear was just slamming into the teeth on the ring gear. Got four busted teeth. Crappy design. It will eventually fail. The ring gear has a part number on it 2509701 and is removable but kohle doesn't sell just that part got to buy the whole thing. I'd be happy if I could find any used flywheel with that ring gear so I swap it on to mine.

Red