2007 Toro Recycler Easy Start 190cc B&S hard starting

RYANS'

Threads
  • / 2007 Toro Recycler Easy Start 190cc B&S hard starting
Ok, another question. Will this create a problem on this small engine? Noticed it when cleaning the head. Or should I use some RTV with the head gasket?View attachment 68199

Had this on my cylinder head on my Liberty though not as pronounced. It caused a tiny leak of coolant which set a code. Had to change the cylinder head.
Have you seen farmcraft 101, on you tube. He sanded a head just by sticking a sand paper to a flat bench top. Nice pic.

kingjames1

Threads
No. I'll have to watch that. Thanks.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also a table saw etc. table or any other similar machine table will work to sand flat . A pencil marks may indicate how good you doing .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a casting defect
They can actually move through the alloy when it gets hot enough
Flat heads usually do not have that much compression so it should not be a problem
IF it worries you then Devcon aluminium paste is the best filler
Next best is POR 15 metal filler
After that there are thousands of "liquid metals " that will do the job
Clean the surface fill the hole leave it a couple of weeks then file flat

OTOH and reasonable welder can put a dolop of weld in there for you .

kingjames1

Threads
That YOU picked up on. Reread what you typed and what I typed again. Let it fester a bit.
B&S website says to decarbon when needed. It doesn't say once a year. That requires removing the head according to the web site. There are no engine manuals available on the Support site. Only Parts and Owners manuals.

The fins stay clean since they are in a horizontal orientation.
It is a casting defect
They can actually move through the alloy when it gets hot enough
Flat heads usually do not have that much compression so it should not be a problem
IF it worries you then Devcon aluminium paste is the best filler
Next best is POR 15 metal filler
After that there are thousands of "liquid metals " that will do the job
Clean the surface fill the hole leave it a couple of weeks then file flat

OTOH and reasonable welder can put a dolop of weld in there for you .
Ok thanks.

GearHead36

Threads
B&S website says to decarbon when needed. It doesn't say once a year.
That COULD be, potentially, never. If the engine is properly maintained, primarily the air filter, the engine won't carbon up. It will probably wear out before it gets carboned up. If the air filter is allowed to get really dirty, the problems snowball. Once the air filter gets so dirty, it will start sucking up oil into the airbox, making the air filter even more restrictive. This causes the engine to run really rich, causing carbon deposits, and a fouled plug. If I catch the air filter before it starts getting fouled with oil, i.e. the filter is dirty with dry dirt, I'll just blow it out with compressed air. Once the filter gets wet, it's done. Oil, gas, water, it doesn't matter. It gets replaced.

kingjames1

Threads
That COULD be, potentially, never. If the engine is properly maintained, primarily the air filter, the engine won't carbon up. It will probably wear out before it gets carboned up. If the air filter is allowed to get really dirty, the problems snowball. Once the air filter gets so dirty, it will start sucking up oil into the airbox, making the air filter even more restrictive. This causes the engine to run really rich, causing carbon deposits, and a fouled plug. If I catch the air filter before it starts getting fouled with oil, i.e. the filter is dirty with dry dirt, I'll just blow it out with compressed air. Once the filter gets wet, it's done. Oil, gas, water, it doesn't matter. It gets replaced.
I noticed you can see the valves clearly with the spark plug out. Never noticed that. So it should be an easy check when looking for carbon buildup.

First time really working on a small engine other than replacing the carb

Thanks everyone.