2005 24V48 fuel delivery issue

Jtich85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay stay with me on this one because I am a little rusty on my small engine repairs.

two months ago I was given a 2005 24V48 Husqvarna riding mower. It was not running and had not been started for two years. What could possible go wrong.

week one - After replacing the battery and started solenoid, new spark plugs, and draining the gas I got it started. I did however in the process of playing with everything break the fuel tank grommet that secures the fuel line in place. I didn’t know enough to figure out how to get a new one to fit in that tiny hole and I was trying to put it on the hose first. So the end result was using some glue to hold it mind place while I mowed.

Week two - lawn mower turned but would not start. I drained the fuel again, added a new fuel filter, and it fired right up. The grommet had come lose so I glued it back…

week three - lawn mower turned but wouldn’t start. Drained the gas and cleaned the carburetor. It fired right up. The grommet had come lose so I glued it back…

week four & five - lots of rain and not a lot of mowing

week six - the lawn mower wouldn’t start. Drained the gas and refilled with ethanol free gas. No start. Took the carburetor apart again and cleaned it. No start. Noticed the grommet had come completely out and there was junk in the fuel filter. I removed the gas tank and cleaned it rinsing with fresh gas.

When I was removing it I noticed that the vent line going from the gas tank to the intake manifold was broken and had been broken for a long time. I reconnected it and FINALLY figured out how to correctly install the grommet. I imagine a ton of water and junk got into the tank and fuel system by now.

I cleaned the fuel filter and filled the tank up with gas. When I went to turn the key I closely watched the fuel filter and it filled with more junk. I installed another new fuel filter. This time when I went to start it no gas pumped into the fuel filter. Not a drop.

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines and still no gas moving into the filter.

Next I noticed it was no longer clicking when I turned the key so I replaced the fuel solenoid and carburetor (didn’t fill like waiting for the solenoid to arrive). Turned the key - no gas going to pump

At this point I noticed that the mower wasn’t really making the same crank noise. It sounded like you would expect if there was no gas going to the spark plugs. As I continued to trouble shoot it over the next few days that noise got tighter and slower until eventually it just stopped. Now when I turn the key all
I get is a rapid clicking noise. I am getting the new battery tested tomorrow but I am honestly lost at this point.

Absolutely ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the bottom
The clicking is because the battery was flat
Take the fuel line off at the carburettor and crank the engine
You should get a strong fuel flow
Reading through your post I think you have the fuel system with a rear tank and a charcoal canister on the fuel vent hose
It also sounds like you are mixing up the air venting system to the tank & the fuel supply system
The vent is in the top of the tank & secured by a grommet
The fuel delivery hose is connected to the bottom of the tank
Debris in the fuel tank gets sucked into the outlet & blocks it off, this is vey common
If you used cheap fuel hose bought from Evilpay or Scammazon then there is a 75% chance the hose is made from the wrong materials or is defective .
If you pushed it on dry without any rubber grease you could have damaged the inner petrol proof liner .
Other possibilities
hoses connected wrong to the fuel pump
leaks in the impulse line to the fuel pump

Easy check is to get a bucket with fuel in it and connect the fuel pump to that
If the engine pumps fuel then you problem is downstream from the fuel pump

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Okay stay with me on this one because I am a little rusty on my small engine repairs.

two months ago I was given a 2005 24V48 Husqvarna riding mower. It was not running and had not been started for two years. What could possible go wrong.

week one - After replacing the battery and started solenoid, new spark plugs, and draining the gas I got it started. I did however in the process of playing with everything break the fuel tank grommet that secures the fuel line in place. I didn’t know enough to figure out how to get a new one to fit in that tiny hole and I was trying to put it on the hose first. So the end result was using some glue to hold it mind place while I mowed.

Week two - lawn mower turned but would not start. I drained the fuel again, added a new fuel filter, and it fired right up. The grommet had come lose so I glued it back…

week three - lawn mower turned but wouldn’t start. Drained the gas and cleaned the carburetor. It fired right up. The grommet had come lose so I glued it back…

week four & five - lots of rain and not a lot of mowing

week six - the lawn mower wouldn’t start. Drained the gas and refilled with ethanol free gas. No start. Took the carburetor apart again and cleaned it. No start. Noticed the grommet had come completely out and there was junk in the fuel filter. I removed the gas tank and cleaned it rinsing with fresh gas.

When I was removing it I noticed that the vent line going from the gas tank to the intake manifold was broken and had been broken for a long time. I reconnected it and FINALLY figured out how to correctly install the grommet. I imagine a ton of water and junk got into the tank and fuel system by now.

I cleaned the fuel filter and filled the tank up with gas. When I went to turn the key I closely watched the fuel filter and it filled with more junk. I installed another new fuel filter. This time when I went to start it no gas pumped into the fuel filter. Not a drop.

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines and still no gas moving into the filter.

Next I noticed it was no longer clicking when I turned the key so I replaced the fuel solenoid and carburetor (didn’t fill like waiting for the solenoid to arrive). Turned the key - no gas going to pump

At this point I noticed that the mower wasn’t really making the same crank noise. It sounded like you would expect if there was no gas going to the spark plugs. As I continued to trouble shoot it over the next few days that noise got tighter and slower until eventually it just stopped. Now when I turn the key all
I get is a rapid clicking noise. I am getting the new battery tested tomorrow but I am honestly lost at this point.

Absolutely ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Battery is dead from cranking engine. Probably trash in fuel line plastic fitting, blow out with air compressor, poke with wire, get it clean. If you cannot get it starting and running soon, take it to a shop. You have spent enough time and money on replacing unnecessary parts. You have tried, which is way more than many people do.

Jtich85

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the bottom
The clicking is because the battery was flat
Take the fuel line off at the carburettor and crank the engine
You should get a strong fuel flow
Reading through your post I think you have the fuel system with a rear tank and a charcoal canister on the fuel vent hose
It also sounds like you are mixing up the air venting system to the tank & the fuel supply system
The vent is in the top of the tank & secured by a grommet
The fuel delivery hose is connected to the bottom of the tank
Debris in the fuel tank gets sucked into the outlet & blocks it off, this is vey common
If you used cheap fuel hose bought from Evilpay or Scammazon then there is a 75% chance the hose is made from the wrong materials or is defective .
If you pushed it on dry without any rubber grease you could have damaged the inner petrol proof liner .
Other possibilities
hoses connected wrong to the fuel pump
leaks in the impulse line to the fuel pump

Easy check is to get a bucket with fuel in it and connect the fuel pump to that
If the engine pumps fuel then you problem is downstream from the fuel pump
IMG_7843.jpeg
Thank you for the detailed response! To be clear - this picture shows the assumption I have been working on. Both the blue “vent” and the red “fuel” connect at the top of the tank. The vent line is pieced together with crappy tubing and runs to the intake manifold. Is my understanding of this correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the tank we get down here which has a discharge point at the bottom of the tank, although some do run across the top then go down the sides to a nipple on the bottom.
IF your tank has a top outlet with the fuel line going through a grommet these are prone to cracking.
The symptom is they run fine with the tank filled to the brim then when it gets to a particular level ( where the crack is ) it sucks air & the mower surges then stops .

Jtich85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay thank you everybody for all the help! I charged the battery and cleaned out the fuel line plastic fitting. It started right up! Looks like this was near death by grommet (poorly installed grommet). I replaced a lot of parts downstream of that plastic fitting before figuring out the issue because this line runs into the TOP of the tank. You can’t just let the line drain to see if it is clogged. Thank you again! Lawn is mowed!