2000s Craftsman LT2000 Check my diagnosis

DerickE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, I wanted to run this by ya'll to double check my diagnosis. I am working on a mid 2000s LT2000 with a briggs intek, I believe 17 horse single ohv. It will run at low revs on ether, and then it dies shortly after starting. Had a puff of dark black smoke. I've done several of these head gasket replacements on the inteks, but usually the symptoms are that they smoke profusely after warming up. This wont even rev up. Carb is clean as a whistle, and this occurs on ether as well. Compression is about 60 psi. Last one I did compression was at 90 psi, and google says 60+ is good. So, it's hard to narrow down and wanted to get a second opinion.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Click above & enter model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx numbers from engine for Intake & Exhaust Valve Specs. Adjust valves with engine cold.
Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
If valves are out of adjustment compression release on camshaft will not function properly thus hard start issue.

Last edited:

DerickE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Click above & enter model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx numbers from engine for Intake & Exhaust Valve Specs. Adjust valves with engine cold.
Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Yeah checking the valves before taking off the head is definitely on the plan. There has definitely been someone in there.

Hewerb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your fuel for water. My filter occasionally gets clogged with accumulated water from ethanol fuel and I have to flush the filter, then good to go. It exhibits the symptoms you described when the filter gets clogged