2-Stroke Toro Recycler BBC problems

hanyoukimura

Threads
Evening all,

IMG_0058.jpg

Hoping for some help! Today was a a rather disappointing day. I've had my 2-stroke Toro sitting in the garage since I got the engine running. I took it out last week, added new gas mix and it fired right up. Drive system works and BBC would engage but in mildly thick grass the blade would slow to a stop. This is my first problem. What typically causes this?

I pulled the blade, shroud, and belt off. Belt looks...well I've seen worse. I'd like to get a new one but I'm not sure if the part numbers are correct since the mower has no ID tag. From what I could find researching this might be it:

Toro Lawnmower Lawn Mower BBC Blade Clutch Belt 42 0884 | eBay

The idler pulley seemed like the bearing was junk but after cleaning it it spins smooth again. However when I put it all back together and went to engage the system the bale had no resistance and while the drive kicked in the blade did not. After some trouble shooting I traced it down the the plastic bracket the cable mounts to in the bale assembly. Looks like I need a new one.

At least the piece had a part number on it.

Toro Hook Control 46 5540 | eBay

Second problem I'll need help with is a sheered bolt. Went to remove the 2 bolts holding the drive cover down. One of them came out fine but the other sheered. There's about half an inch of the bolt sticking out of the deck. Any tips to get it out? I've already got it soaking with PB blaster.

Needless to say this day has been a bummer. I was really looking forward to using the Toro now that I have a mulch plug for it. :frown: If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

If nothing else its at least looking better. Not a full restoration but enough to make it presentable. Cleaned the handlebars and use Rust-oleum to touch up the deck. Got a late evening shot of it.

web.jpg

hanyoukimura

Threads
I meant to ask, is there a special procedure for installing the new belt?

I'm also not sure which belt is the correct one for this mower. I've seen 42-0884 and 42-0881, but the belt that came off had no numbers...like the mower itself...

In fact all i have for number is the Suzuki's: 47PF5-216737 which gets me nowhere...

I meant to ask, once I get the correct belt, is there a special procedure for installing the new belt?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
As you probably know I have two Suzuki-powered Toros that look a lot like yours but with one crucial difference: neither of mine is self-propelled. I'm pretty sure that they don't have any belts -- so I have no experience with that.

Sorry I can't help. :ashamed:

The Suzuki-Toro that I use a lot (the other is an almost-complete parts mower) has been a real workhorse. I keep it set at the highest cutting height and use it as sort of a field mower in places too steep or narrow for my tractor. It usually cuts grass at least a foot tall. :cool:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The protruding bolt. Be patient. Blaster is good. Get a vice grip pliers and set it so it will tighten perpindicularly to the shaft. Set it tight so it crushes any threads down to the shaft material. Gently try to tighten/loosen the bolt if possible. If it does not move. Stop. Strike it gently from the top only, like a nail. Wait. Repeat vise grip wiggle. Wait overnite for blaster to work. I would not consider drill / easy out as long as you can grip the bolt. It is possible as last resort to weld a hex extension onto the top of the broken bolt, depending on clearance around and how important the bolt is.

hanyoukimura

Threads
As you probably know I have two Suzuki-powered Toros that look a lot like yours but with one crucial difference: neither of mine is self-propelled. I'm pretty sure that they don't have any belts -- so I have no experience with that.

Sorry I can't help. :ashamed:

The Suzuki-Toro that I use a lot (the other is an almost-complete parts mower) has been a real workhorse. I keep it set at the highest cutting height and use it as sort of a field mower in places too steep or narrow for my tractor. It usually cuts grass at least a foot tall. :cool:

That's ok! Turns out there is a Toro dealer a few towns over, so tomorrow I'm planning to go there and get a belt. I'm going with 42-0884, but I'll bring the old one with me to be sure.

The protruding bolt. Be patient. Blaster is good. Get a vice grip pliers and set it so it will tighten perpindicularly to the shaft. Set it tight so it crushes any threads down to the shaft material. Gently try to tighten/loosen the bolt if possible. If it does not move. Stop. Strike it gently from the top only, like a nail. Wait. Repeat vise grip wiggle. Wait overnite for blaster to work. I would not consider drill / easy out as long as you can grip the bolt. It is possible as last resort to weld a hex extension onto the top of the broken bolt, depending on clearance around and how important the bolt is.

I will definitely have to try that out. Thanks! The bolt's not super important but the shroud will probably vibrate excessively without it.