Buying Advice 1997 Hopper 725

Olympus

Threads
I need some advice on buying a new mower. I have about 4 acres of yard to mow. I currently use a JD 750 tractor with a 60" finish mower. My tractor is in mint condition and extremely low hours for its age. I hate to put a ton of hours on it. And it mows great for flat areas, but sucks for trim work and uneven ground. I had a very small Dixon that I used for trim work, but it but the dust last summer. I want to replace it with a decent Grasshopper that is big enough to mow the whole yard and will be faster than my tractor.

I found what looks like a very nice used 1997 725 model with 1775 hours. Seller says its a one owner and never used commercially. Says its always beeb garaged and does look very clean. No rust at all. Seat looks brand new. Seller says it burns no oil and that he changes the oil every 90hrs. Says it has a new alternator, water pump, belts, and hoses put on last year. Tires look about half worn.

The seller wants $3500, but I have no idea if that's a decent price or if there are some concerns with this model. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Threads

Olympus

Threads
Thanks for the links. I will be checking them all out.

A

AmericanTurf

Grasshoppers do hold there resale value. $3800 bucks is not bad. My brand new 2012 cost $17K. Worth every penny. Does it have the optional deck lift?

Olympus

Threads
Grasshoppers do hold there resale value. $3800 bucks is not bad. My brand new 2012 cost $17K. Worth every penny. Does it have the optional deck lift?

No, no power lift deck. Thats one thing I wish it had. Seller said his mower was built before they came out with that option.

A

AmericanTurf

I know they has deck lift in 98'. So are you going to buy it?

Olympus

Threads
I'm not sure yet. Some people on another forum have me worried about the age. I may take a gamble and slow play the seller.

BWH

Threads
I bought my first Grasshopper in 1982 a 1600 great mower for its time but chains and jack shafts were problematic, next was a 1992 612 nice mower that I put 1600 hours on the original hydros and engine I sold it last year for $2400 and it looked and drove like new. I replaced it with a 2001 721, this is a great mower I paid $6,500.00 for it has blower and bagger with 500 hours. If the 725 your looking at looks well taken care of thats half the battle but a couple of things more to test. First test the hydros that it goes straight with levers full forward as well as full backwards, if it drifts either direction chances are one is weak $1000.00 plus. Next is the engine test under full rpm with the deck on in grass going up a incline if possible. The 25HP should handle it without pulldown if it is still fresh. If it passes these tests it would be worth the asking price. Grasshoppers will last forever if properly services and taken care of they are heavy built made for rebuilding unlike many other lighter built mowers. Service records would be great but not too many of us keep them.

A

AmericanTurf

I would only buy a front mount hopper.