Mower deck 1997 46" MTD spindle/pulley problem

SCS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the blades on this mower for the first time. When I took the pulley nut off the right hand spindle, the bearing fell out of the bottom in several pieces. Rather than replace the spindle, I just installed a new bearing and put it back together. After about 20 minutes of mowing, the center hole of the pulley rounded out and the nut backed off, dropping the blade on the ground.

I took everything apart and added grease to the top bearing and made sure both bearings were functioning correctly. I put it back together and mowed for about ten minutes before the new pulley was rounded out.

At this point, I decided there must be something wrong with the spindle or shaft, so I ordered a complete replacement spindle and another new pulley. I installed the new spindle, but when I put the new pulley on, it sits right on top of the spindle and drags. I've compared the spindles, shaft bolts and pulleys and cannot see any difference. Any ideas on what to try other than ordering another new spindle? I wanted to try using the old shaft bolt, but the teeth were rounded out when the last pulley went.

Would appreciate any advice. I'm at my wits end and the weeds are starting to laugh at me.