1991 LX176 Igniter Module

Greyboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My LX176 that I bought new has the original Igniter ( BM11 / AM132770 ). The engine cranks and runs flawlessly. However, seems it takes longer to fire off when cranking than it used to. Sometimes when it does fire smoke will roll out of the exhaust muffler fairly heavy. I started pushing it out of my basement to start it because of this. I think maybe it is loading the carb with too much fuel on choke to burn it all. I tested the ohms with my multi meter and got 1.3 k/ohms. One YouTube video poster tested his at 1.4 k/ohms, and in his opinion his was faulty. I have seen new igniters on YouTube read over 10 k/ohms. It is my understanding that the igniter only assists in the process of cranking, and once fired the ignition coil takes over 100%. I believe I read that on this forum. By the way, new battery installed two yrs. ago made no difference. Thoughts please ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No the ignitor is just an electronic replacement for the mechanical points and condenser system. It operates the ignition coil all the time while the engine is running. Just be thankful you didn't have like I had recently that was shooting a 2 ft flame and loud report from the exhaust.

Greyboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
No the ignitor is just an electronic replacement for the mechanical points and condenser system. It operates the ignition coil all the time while the engine is running. Just be thankful you didn't have like I had recently that was shooting a 2 ft flame and loud report from the exhaust.
Thanks Star Tech. I am thankful I don't have a flame thrower.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The ignitor failures that I have seen either cause lose of fire on one or both cylinders.