1989 MTD 119-422R Briggs - won't start with air filter bolt in place

roffill

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1989 MTD 119-422R Briggs - won't start with air filter bolt in place
I have a 1989 MTD lawnmower that I purchased new in 1989 and has run great. The model is 119-422R - a Briggs and Stratton engine. Lately it won't start unless I remove the air filter (which is very clean). Once it is running, I can replace the air filter. If I try starting it with even just the air filter bolt in place, it won't start either. The choke flap moves freely. I'm guessing the bolt must block just enough air? Any ideas on what I need to do? Thank you. Richard.

possum

Threads
Sounds like the one that has the carb on the tank. I had a couple of those long time ago. Those like to get loose on the intake, check that it is tight. Couple screws hold it on the engine. The diaphrams liked to get old and cause the problem you speak of, a cleaning and a new diaphram fixed them. Was easy to do if I remember right.

roffill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to take it to a mower repair shop. They did replace the diaphram, and it starts up on the first pull. But now as soon as I increase the throttle, it wants to cut out. If I hold the choke closed, it will throttle up OK, but as soon as I let go and the choke opens, it cuts. Guess back to the shop it goes.