1985 yamaha riva ca50n 50cc scooter

briguyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello i know this is a scooter question but i have a question for some of your experienced people out there. this is a 6 volt system here is the question its my understanding that the stator on older model scooters have a lighting coil with two parts. One for running the bike and the other for charging the battery unfortunatly one of the coils is ony producing .8 volts the other runs the bike great and the headlight is brite i tested the voltage regulator and it was putting out 6.5 volts consistantly my question is since i have all this extra power from the lighting coil can i run a wire from the regulator(one wire) to the rectifier and charge the battery this way. since the charging coil is about 30.00 and i would only have to run one wire if somebody knows please reply thank you briguyman.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know too much about the Yamaha seeing I run Hondas. Surprised that they run a 6 volt system seeing the same year Honda Spree runs a 12 volt system but they operate the same way. The thing I don't understand why you wouldn't spend the 30 dollars and fix it right If the bike is any shape at all it sure has to be worth a 30 dollar coil. What you are going to do is just cause a lot of damage. I don't know about Yamaha but a Honda Spree in good shape can cost over 500 dollars to replace. So fix it right and enjoy the ride. Just love them old 50cc bikes.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what is the DMV rules for a 50cc scooter in Minnesota??