1972 briggs motor, no spark

gilson71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have an old gilson lawn tractor with a 15hp briggs engine. Have replaced the spark plug, adjusted the points correctly (I think), the magnets on the flywheel appear to be fairly clean. Trying to think of everything I can, as I would have to remove the engine just to get the flywheel cover off. I have wrenched on stuff like this pretty much all my life, this one has me stumped though. Got a very good deal on this tractor. Has great compression, would hate to take it to the scrap yard.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So many Briggs & Stratton around in 1972 so which one do you have..? post the numbers that are on the engine,
(1) did you check the breaker plunger for movement.

gilson71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 325434, type 0129-01, code 7206051. These are the numbers that are on my motor. Not sure of the breaker that you spoke of, where is it located on my engine. Its been a minute since I have had to do any major work to one if these, and my memory isnt quite what it used to be.

SHOOTERTPP

Threads
I think he is talking about the plunger that opens and closes the points. if it's like my 81 8hp, it will run off a lobe on the crank shaft. Mine is located under the flywheel and under an aluminum cover.

If not like mine, please disregard. I'll crawl back in the cave.

OOPS, posted too soon. Open mouth, insert foot.

Part number 242 in the diagram.
Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 325434-0129-99

Copy and paste the numbers in the model number box if the diagram doesn't show up. Then select the Carb,FuelTank,A/C,BlowerHsg drop down. there is a diagram of the part near the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Item number 342 it opens and closes the breaker points.

Attachments

• B&S325430.jpg
    B&S325430.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 5