18hp kohler modelM18QS

SCOTTY3HOT

Forum Newbie
Threads
YES I HAVE A TORO PRO LINE 118 WITH A 18 HP MAG. MOTOR MOWER QUIT RUNNING WENT TO START IT BACK UP AND IT WANTED TO START BUT IT SRARTED BACKFIRING TOOK THE PLUGS OUT ,GOT FIRE WENT TO SEE IF I HAD ANY COMPRESSION AND NOTICED VALVE WAS NOT CLOSING WHEN I TURNED THE MOTOR OVER ,MOTOR TURNED OVER REAL FAST,IS THERE A REASON THE VALVES DON'T CLOSE , LIKE IT MAY HAVE JUMPED TIME OR SOMETHING

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sticking valves can be caused by a variety of issues. Regular maintainence not being kept up or a restricted air flow around the cylinders is the most likely cause. You will have to take the head off to identify the damage and is if there are other problems.

Ifixdit

Threads
YES I HAVE A TORO PRO LINE 118 WITH A 18 HP MAG. MOTOR MOWER QUIT RUNNING WENT TO START IT BACK UP AND IT WANTED TO START BUT IT SRARTED BACKFIRING TOOK THE PLUGS OUT ,GOT FIRE WENT TO SEE IF I HAD ANY COMPRESSION AND NOTICED VALVE WAS NOT CLOSING WHEN I TURNED THE MOTOR OVER ,MOTOR TURNED OVER REAL FAST,IS THERE A REASON THE VALVES DON'T CLOSE , LIKE IT MAY HAVE JUMPED TIME OR SOMETHING

Either the valves are out of adjustment or most likely you have a worn lobe on the camshaft that will require replacement of the cam.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
DAH, UM, HAA, He said the valve stays open, if the cam lobe was worn the valve would not open at all. The only adjustment on this valve system is to remove the valves and grind the valve stems, if the are stretched. I would suggest not to attempt this unless your have the proper equipment and knowledge how to do it.

SCOTTY3HOT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I STARTED TAKING THE ENGINE A PART AND THE CAM IS NOT TURNING WHEN I TURN THE MOTOR OVER