18 hp Vanguard problem. (HELP)

Tommy1

Threads
Let me start out by saying that I have never worked on small engines. With that being said, I am pretty handy with tools. So be be "gentle" with me. :laughing:
I have a 618 Grasshopper that had a Triad Kohler in it(had) so I replaced it with a 18hp Vanguard. Ran great for three year and then started puking oil into the breather.
Weird thing is, the motor starts right up and has plenty of power.. \? So I am told to do a leakdown test on the engine, which I just did. The one head has 10% leakage, the other head is blowing air up thru the oil return in the head at 100% ! I think that probably is a bad thing correct? So the question is WHY? Cracked head or blown head gasket possibly? BTW, there is no air blowing out the dipstck tube.
Any comments , help, instructions would be greatly appreciated.:confused2: Thanks, Tommy

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have never seen a cracked head on a mower. So I would say blown head gasket. I have seen two heads with casting flaws that leaked oil from the push rod cavity onto the exhaust manifold.

supertech

Threads
I agree , head gasket. Rule out the simple stuff first check to make sure the crankcase breather hose is not collapsed or obstructed.