18 HP OPPOSED TWIN exhaust set up question

Martinomon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am putting a older opposed twin 18 HP engine in my Beck Boat....this is a direct prop shaft drive...these boats were Mfg`ed on Pine Island Fl in the 60`s -80`s for trolling ...slower the better ....my question is ...can I connect the 2 exhaust ports with galvanized pipe to a "T" and then straight up into a vertical pipe? I want to put a muffler just above the " T" fitting...then a aluminum up pipe that can be removed for going under low bridges. Since each cylinder fires alternately , will it cause any problems with getting rid of the exhaust? Thanks for any advice or thoughts ! Happy New Year !! David -Pine Island Fl.

Rocky J

Threads

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You didn't say what you are using for a engine . I take it that its a air cooled engine and not water cooled. All the air cooled engines that I have worked on the exhaust go's into one pipe and muffler. I have worked on some boat engines that are water cooled and they run water out the exhaust pipe for some reason.

Martinomon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you RJ and Rey for your quick replies....yes it is a air cooled situation ....and I guess even though the set up I`m describing is similar to the stock design , I wonder if the stock muffler has baffles of some sort or partitions that would stop the exhaust from being pumped into the other cylinder-valves, causing carbon build up and problems down the road?......maybe over thinking this ....David

Martinomon

Forum Newbie
Threads
You didn't say what you are using for a engine . I take it that its a air cooled engine and not water cooled. All the air cooled engines that I have worked on the exhaust go's into one pipe and muffler. I have worked on some boat engines that are water cooled and they run water out the exhaust pipe for some reason.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said you don't say what engine you are using. If Its a 4 cycle engine its impossible for the exhaust to be drawn back through exhaust system into the cylinder. Just maybe a 2 cycle engine but never heard of it happing. In my snowmobile days they ran twin cylinder 2 cycle engines into a single exhaust system without any problem's , but they ran high RPM's. You said you are running this engine very slow so if it is a 2 cycle engine yes then can see problems down the road.

Rocky J

Threads
Thank you RJ and Rey for your quick replies....yes it is a air cooled situation ....and I guess even though the set up I`m describing is similar to the stock design , I wonder if the stock muffler has baffles of some sort or partitions that would stop the exhaust from being pumped into the other cylinder-valves, causing carbon build up and problems down the road?......maybe over thinking this ....David

You might be over thinking it but in theory if you look at tuned exhaust I believe they talk about the length of each header pipe lenght to actually put a little vacuum on the next cylinder but I would guess the RPM's and displacement would all play into it. While talking about exhaust and over thinking it, on motorcycles when you remove the mufflers it is necessary to move up to two sizes bigger in the main jets to stop the back firing.
When checking valves on a engine with a vacuum gauge you watch for a steady vacuum and if it twitches it means a valve is not sealing so I would think any back pressure from another cylinder would show up on a vacuum gauge.

Martinomon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Reynoldston....sorry ....I don`t know how to use the forum yet ....this is a Briggs 18 HP Opposed Twin -80`s vintage...horizontal shaft 4 cycle........Rocky ...good info on the MC exhaust...I have 2 harleys and I know about the back firing....got mine right !....Thank you both for the info......I started messing with some pipe today and since the exhaust ports are off set , it will make it difficult to make an easy connection ...Question: is there a flexable metal(stainless steel) exhaust material out there that could be used to connect the 2 sides ...the size of the outside diameter of 3/4 gal. steel pipe? Or any suggestions ?? Thanks ~David

RDA.Lawns

Threads
There is exhaust flex pipe. Easy to use but like everything easy there is a catch. Flex pipe won't hold up very long . 1 or 2 years maybe before it rust through. Take the motor to a exhaust repair shop . Have them bend some pipe for you .

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to a auto parts store like NAPA and you will find they have adapter pipes that come in a lot of different sizes. Maybe a exhaust shop might help you out but I will bet not unless they do the whole job.