18 hp Briggs fuel issues

roki428

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having trouble with an 18hp V-twin Briggs (model 422437, Type 0679-01). Don't laugh, it's about 30 years old in a Craftsman garden tractor (model 917.253742). Engine will start, may run ok for me to cut the grass. Sometimes it will run fine for 5-20 minutes then dies. Verified it is a fuel issue, picks right back up if I hit it with ether when it starts to die. I have done all the obvious repairs. Pulled and drained the fuel tank, replaced the antique fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and rebuilt the carb, fuel pump repair kit, etc.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm having trouble with an 18hp V-twin Briggs (model 422437, Type 0679-01). Don't laugh, it's about 30 years old in a Craftsman garden tractor (model 917.253742). Engine will start, may run ok for me to cut the grass. Sometimes it will run fine for 5-20 minutes then dies. Verified it is a fuel issue, picks right back up if I hit it with ether when it starts to die. I have done all the obvious repairs. Pulled and drained the fuel tank, replaced the antique fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and rebuilt the carb, fuel pump repair kit, etc.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

To be correct, it is not a V-Twin, but an L-Head Twin. Sounds like you still have some water/crud in your fuel system. Go through the fuel system again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
?????. What does this mean?