18.5 HP Briggs and Stratton (Model #31N707) starts fine, then dies 10 minutes later

RussellTP

Threads
  • / 18.5 HP Briggs and Stratton (Model #31N707) starts fine, then dies 10 minutes later
Cause was a pluged fuel cap causing a vacuum in the gas tank and no fuel flow. My cap has a very small vent hole about a 1/64",and was pluged, purged it with compressed air and problem solved.

It might be problem. Try to get new Fuel Cap.

Pahl

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 18.5 HP Briggs and Stratton (Model #31N707) starts fine, then dies 10 minutes later
It's been a while since I commented on this thread. Thanks to all who have tried to help. I've done all that everyone has suggested, except the new fuel cap, but the problem still persists, and today a new dramatic symptom arose. At about the same time as usual (about 10 minutes after mowing with perfect engine performance) as I was heading downhill, a sudden huge puff of blue-ish white smoke was emitted and the engine sputtered then the smoke went away when I came t level ground. I immediately disengaged the blades and turned the key to cut the engine. I assume that the smoke means that some sort of seal gave way and I am now burning oil. Any suggestions???:confused2:

Lawnranger

Threads
It's been a while since I commented on this thread. Thanks to all who have tried to help. I've done all that everyone has suggested, except the new fuel cap, but the problem still persists, and today a new dramatic symptom arose. At about the same time as usual (about 10 minutes after mowing with perfect engine performance) as I was heading downhill, a sudden huge puff of blue-ish white smoke was emitted and the engine sputtered then the smoke went away when I came t level ground. I immediately disengaged the blades and turned the key to cut the engine. I assume that the smoke means that some sort of seal gave way and I am now burning oil. Any suggestions???:confused2:

It is possible that something "gave way" but it depends on how much of an incline you were going down and engine oil level at the time the puff of smoke happened. I have witnessed people going up a 50 degree incline with a zero turn mower trying to get the grass mowed and the same puff of smoke came out.

taxidermist

Threads
Check you oil and see if its over filled or you have too much from a carb leaking and filling the crank case full of fuel.

Also try adjusting your valves.

When you say it quits and will not turn over.....can you turn the motor over by hand? or is it locked up?

Rob

Dan_ZTR

Threads
Is it possible that there is enough oil in the cylinder to cause hydro-lock? Letting the engine set allows it to drain out?

What does your plug look like when this happens? Is there oil on it? If you pull the plug, will it turn over then?

carmanbret

Forum Newbie
Threads
mine does the same thing, I put a hole in gas cap to let air in, but it still cuts off after 8-10 minutes

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cause was a pluged fuel cap causing a vacuum in the gas tank and no fuel flow. My cap has a very small vent hole about a 1/64",and was pluged, purged it with compressed air and problem solved.

Seems I've read about this issue time and time again on this site ..... it may not be the cure in every case, but it easy enough to give it a try , sometimes we overlook the simplest things . Boobala :2cents:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok
We need to get to the bottom of this and to do that you need to make a few bibs bobs.

1) you need to buy an inline plug tester ( type with a neon tube in it ) or better still a colortune ( spark plug with a window in it )

When the engine stops whip the plug tester in & confirm you have a spark.
This eliminates a lot of safety switches the coil & module.

2) you got spark
Try some starter fluid in the carb.
If it goes and you can keep it running with little burst of starter fluid them the problem is in the fuel supply.

3) smoke is most likely a blown gasket but check carefully the level of oil in the sump, too much & too thin = duff float valve in carb.

Post the results and we can take it from there

lot2mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been having this same issue with a 16.5 Briggs and it's currently dead back in the woods. I'm going try cleaning the gas cap and see if this will fix the issue. I think it may need a valve adjustment though. I will post my results. Thanks for the advise from those that use this site.

Bod

Threads
I had a prob that sounds similar to this. It was vapor lock in fuel system. Tried building a heat shield between the carb and block but that didnt do it. Finally I did away with the fuel solenoid by finding the same engine but different code and ordered the main jet and replaced the solenoid with it.. That took care of it.