16HP IC OHV craftman white smoke!

West01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, last year my dads mower started blowing a lot of white smoke and this summer I'm trying to get it going. My dad recently set the valves and now the engine turns and the mower starts, but blows out A LOT of white smoke. I switched out the float needle and float gasket, but it still seems to be getting to much gas in there or something. I did not change the seat for the needle because I couldn't find one for this nikki carb.

Any ideas? Do you guys need the model #/type #? The numbers are a little worn, so it's hard to see some of them.

Arwing64

Threads
White smoke is caused by the engine burning oil. The engine will burn oil if:
-the piston rings are worn down
-cylinder bore is scored or damaged
-piston is damaged or cracked
-too much or too little oil in the engine
-incorrect oil type/viscosity (should be 10W-30)
-PCV breather valve is malfunctioning

The valves should not have contributed to the engine smoking like that unless it was adjusted improperly and a part of the valve or other component broke off and banged around in the combustion chamber, causing engine scoring and allowing oil to be consumed at a much faster rate. The carburetor should also have no influence on engine smoke. Black smoke means that it is running way too rich and burning excess gasoline, whereas white smoke is oil burning in the combustion chamber.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I will be happy to answer them!

gainestruk

Threads
arwing64 this post is from 2014

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
arwing64 this post is from 2014

I do see these are answerers from old post, but lets be real here. The original OP may not read it but a lot of people do and it might be a answer they are looking for. Lets not discourage anybody from answering even old threads which may be helpful to someone. So thanks arwing64 keep the answers coming. But 190 ft. lbs. for a 12HP Briggs rod nut is just a little off the mark.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Yeah, old post, most common cause of OP's symptoms on that engine is blown head gasket.

Walt Conner