16 hp briggs

Threads
I have a 16 hp Briggs that I'm working on for a customer and for a week I have had it when it showed up I first realized that the engine mount was loose but why it was brought to me was that the engine would worm up and stall so I changed the coil and cleaned the fly wheel then changed the plugs ( no points ) and it was having a gas problem so I cleaned the carb and that fixed that so it was running strong as ever so I gave it the requested tune up ( belt change oil change ) and sent it back and within 10 minutes I got a call it had quit so I went over to see and it had quit but it wouldn't turn over either then I put it in first and it turned over so I put gas in the carb and it started so he went on mowing and it quit again so I took the topper off and it seamed hot to me so I let it cool down and it started again and this time it ran without the topper for about 30 minutes and the customer won't give up on it but I can't tell him nothing it's done him well I think it is a 1972 co-op turf trac 16/44 and he's never done any maintenance on it but I'm to fix it and was wondering if any one has had this problem or if the tractors that old

SMM

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I would do at this point. One would be a compression test, and the other would be a leakdown test. The older flat head briggs were bad a floating the valves due to wear or other factors. He may be loosing compression due to the valves not closing properly.

gregjo1948

Threads
Maybe after warming up, the head gasket leaks enough to lower compression too much to run. gregjo1948

Threads
**** it's not any of that I don't know though I did the math and its coming up on 40 years old I don't know I have my suspicions with it I first had spark trouble then I had fuel trouble and know I have overheating problems

SMM

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the engine's model numbers? If it is the old cast iron 16 h.p., the points are down on the side like an old Kohler.

Threads
I don't have the model binders on hand and the engine is at my shop in town but I can tell you it's not a cast iron block its like the newer engines are

SMM

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So it is a twin l head then?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not if it 40 years old, must be an old L-head.

Side shaft, or bottom. Does the one coil have two plug wires? You are sure it doesn't have points?

Threads
I'm sorry that I can't get you the model number but it was on its own plate in the topper I believe and the plate is broke off
So I go off one on a old Briggs 18 hp
SMM