11HP Briggs & Stratton backfiring through carby

shedboy54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Lawnranger, Thanks for your two cents worth (which is also a saying we use quite often down here in Oz) Muffler seems to be clear when running --have had it off and can blow compressor thru it easly but maybe I'll fire it up with no muffler at all and see what happens Thanks Paul.:confused2:

shedboy54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Ozranga, Thanks for the idea I'll get on ebay and see if I can find a coil---I'll try anything---regarding fuel--tank is clean and brand new premium fuel Thanks Paul.:confused2:

OzRanga

Threads
If you cant find one PM me and I will source my contacts

DaveTN

Threads
As per adjusting the mixture screw out 1 and 1/2 turns...why not go ALL the way out to where it's blowing black smoke and running, then lean it out gradually until it runs at its best RPM? That's what I do on both push mowers and riders, weedeaters and anything else. Can't always go by the book, except for a ballpark figure/starting point. Surely couldn't be a sticking intake valve? Symptoms still sound like a timing problem eh? Since the key is OK, then it couldn't be that. I had a 5 HP old B&S start up fine, then got hot and started cutting out. Intermittent sticking intake valve was the culprit. Sounds like a mean Grimlin in there, mate! Concerning the coil, it could be intermittent as well. Try putting a known good coil on it, see if it runs then. Good Luck! Dave

Henrybilly12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 11hrs Briggs&Stratton backfires through carb and won't start. I check the key in flywheel and it gets plenty of fire and and gas. when it was
running it backfired real loud and stop running. cannot figure it out:thumbdown: