106 cc (6.5 cu in.) of metal- SOLO 642 chainsaw 36" bar score

Rudedog

Threads
  • / 106 cc (6.5 cu in.) of metal- SOLO 642 chainsaw 36" bar score
Picked this up from a US Fish and Wildlife Officer. He bought it from the Feds after they cut down one big tree. The saw looks great. It was built in Stuttgart W. Germany in 1976. It starts right up but will not stay running so I do have some work to do. He said he replaced the fuel lines recently from stuff he picked up from the auto parts store so that may be my problem. I need to find out what id/od fuel line I need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0273 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0273 (Small).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0274 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0274 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0275 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0275 (Small).JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0276 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0276 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 54

Bison

Threads
Looks crude,..more like russian build.
But it prob beats cutting a tree down with a pocket knife:wink:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take it to any good chainsaw repair shop, I'll bet they will be about to help you get the correct size. Will probably have it in stock.

possum

Threads
Naa if it were made by Russia in the 70s the recoil handle would be wood painted shiney black to look plastic, the head made of cast iron painted to look like alloy, the name branded with a hot iron and spelled wrong and the recoil outfit alone would weigh about 40 pounds.

Rudedog

Threads
Take it to any good chainsaw repair shop, I'll bet they will be about to help you get the correct size. Will probably have it in stock.

That is probably what I'll do. SOLO is a great saw that just didn't catch on in the US like Stihl. The dealer support was very weak. They make some great chainsaws though and a 9 hp. saw that looks next to new is hard to pass up.

Bison

Threads
Naa if it were made by Russia in the 70s the recoil handle would be wood painted shiney black to look plastic, the head made of cast iron painted to look like alloy, the name branded with a hot iron and spelled wrong and the recoil outfit alone would weigh about 40 pounds.
Yeah, but it would run a 100 years.:wink:

Russian stuff ain't that bad you know.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is probably what I'll do. SOLO is a great saw that just didn't catch on in the US like Stihl. The dealer support was very weak. They make some great chainsaws though and a 9 hp. saw that looks next to new is hard to pass up.

It seems with Solo they build up the dealer network then leave them hanging. As a solo dealer/service center I had 3 different distributors in 2 years. One was actually selling out of the Solo line when they picked me up as a dealer.

Had to send a trimmer to the headquarters a few years back, and they lost it in the warehouse. My current parts distributor is great as far as parts, Even called them a couple times and the owner answered the phone, and took my order, or helped me with a problem.

About every 20 years Solo makes a dealer sign push, and the dealers sell saws and other equipment, then Solo seems to forget they have dealers.