10515 lower oil seal

atmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm attempting to replace the lower oil seal on my 10515. It looks like the something is missing as the seal slides onto the crankshaft but there is nothing to hold it in place as the opening is much larger than the OD of the seal.
Here is an image copied from another thread with the same problem:

lbseal.png

It looks like the bearing is missing although the engine has never been disassembled, am the original owner.
Thoughts, ideas anyone?

Thanks,
John

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Picture didn't come through, so can't tell you much. The seal part number is 611396. Do you have the correct one?

rarebear

Threads
I just happen to have two seals in house and measured them up..
1.250 (1 1/4") OD
I'm not sure if they are the correct size or not, I just bought them incase I need them..

I can't see you pic any bigger than a thumbnail..
Can you repost it?

rarebear

Threads
Tried looking at your image more and it looks like the Muffler plate your looking at.. The motor and seal is higher up..
You make have to remove the three bolts on the top side and separate motor from muffler plate to change seal...

You may also need a muffler gasket..

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why the mystery of old vs new seal? I'm missing why you cannot compare removed seal with new one.

atmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the advice, problem solved.

Rarebear pointed me in the right direction. I removed the engine from the muffler plate as suggested to find the drive belt pulley mounted to the crank.
Removed the pulley and was able to access the seal, popped it out, inserted new seal, done.

Thanks again,
John