10272C

Vervepipes

Threads
I just picked up a newer, well, I guess it's near 10 years old now, 10272C (Silver Series)for free. It was on the curb on garbage day so I pulled over quickly and tossed it into the van and brought it home. The motor is a Tecumseh, it's missing the engine shroud but from what I gather it's a 6.5 HP. It runs great, I did my standard 1/4 acre test mow and it seemed to seed nothing mechanically. I wondered why somebody would toss something like this in the trash, then I saw it. At first glance it looked like cracked paint on the deck, but there are in fact several cracks in the deck. The good news is that the deck is steel, so I can weld it. The odd thing is that there is no corrosion other than from the exposed metal due to the cracked paint. I wonder what would cause that kind of cracking. It's dark so I can't grab any good pics. I'll probably finish the season with it then tear it down, weld the cracks and re-finish it in grabber green. I don't like that it doesn't have a shroud though, and don't want to pay as much as people want for one, so I'm going to take a spare shroud from a newer Craftsman with a larger tank and paint it green to match the mower. It isn't a classic by any means so I'm not concerned with it not being correct, that's what my '73 is for!

On a side note, I sure got an idea of how uneven my yard is because the offset wheel tends to make the front corner plow into the ground in several spots... So the engine is just a basic Tecumseh, no throttle control, no self propel, looks very basic, what makes this a commercial mower as per the part #?

LB8210

Threads
The C in the model number does not mean it's a commercial model. The C is only a part of the model number nothing more. A commercial model would have a cast deck, ball bearing wheels,larger gas tank, metal engine shroud and engine brush guard.