10 Year Old Raptor Bogging Down

rrichar1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2013 Hustler Raptor with a Kawasaki engine that bogs down under load in high grass and I have to slow down to let it recover or it acts like it’s going to die. I’ve had it happen once coming up out of a culvert without mower engaged while pulling a leaf picker upper attachment. The engine runs strong and sounds good but we have:

Replaced:
- Both ignition coils
- Both spark plugs
- Mower blades
- Air filter
- mower belt
- fuel filter
- Fuel solenoid on carburetor
- Had the carburetor disassembled and cleaned.
- Replaced Fuel Evaporation System Filter

At a loss on what to try next. Maybe Spindles or PTO?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keep throwing pars at it maybe you will find it sooner or later. Oh yea I forgot that is not throwing parts at it, it's the process of elemination.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 2013 Hustler Raptor with a Kawasaki engine that bogs down under load in high grass and I have to slow down to let it recover or it acts like it’s going to die. I’ve had it happen once coming up out of a culvert without mower engaged while pulling a leaf picker upper attachment. The engine runs strong and sounds good but we have:

Replaced:
- Both ignition coils
- Both spark plugs
- Mower blades
- Air filter
- mower belt
- fuel filter
- Fuel solenoid on carburetor
- Had the carburetor disassembled and cleaned.
- Replaced Fuel Evaporation System Filter

At a loss on what to try next. Maybe Spindles or PTO?
I find it amazing how people will happily start replacing part before they do simple things like check & adjust the valve lash
Following that I would have thought one would check the valve free heights in case one guide has slipped in the head

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What would they say if they brought it to one of us here who do this for a living and we told them we replaced all these parts and it didn't fix it. Sounds like he spent a lot of money and didn't fix it.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What would they say if they brought it to one of us here who do this for a living and we told them we replaced all these parts and it didn't fix it. Sounds like he spent a lot of money and didn't fix it.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I realize a couple of things here. You at least tried, but you didn’t diagnose and solve problem. You have not supplied enough specific information model numbers, hours, etc. Please don’t get upset and quit posting, we are trying to help. At this point, if you cannot figure it out, please take it to a shop. Basically sounds like fuel delivery issue to me (crap in tank, fuel outlet, line, filter). Let us know…

rrichar1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Commercial or Residential use? Hours on Raptor?
Unknown, it’s a first generation Raptor I believe without an hour meter but it’s used in a residential setting. Probably use it 6 months a year for 18 hours a year so I would estimate 180-200 hours total.

rrichar1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I find it amazing how people will happily start replacing part before they do simple things like check & adjust the valve lash
Following that I would have thought one would check the valve free heights in case one guide has slipped in the head
I’m not a mechanic but have replaced what I could and had a real auto mechanic and a lawn mower mechanic most recently look at it but have upgraded to a Scag Freedom Z but would like to get it operational so I can sell. The lawnmower mechanic mainly just changed the vent filter and found some water in the gas and looked at the carburetor again. I misspoke, it’s not really just tall grass it’s normal height grass. The compression I’ve been told has been checked and is fine I’m told.

rrichar1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I realize a couple of things here. You at least tried, but you didn’t diagnose and solve problem. You have not supplied enough specific information model numbers, hours, etc. Please don’t get upset and quit posting, we are trying to help. At this point, if you cannot figure it out, please take it to a shop. Basically sounds like fuel delivery issue to me (crap in tank, fuel outlet, line, filter). Let us know…
I’ve been traveling and haven’t had a chance to check the thread. I’m not upset and appreciate all the help I can get. So far I’ve probably spent $1K on a 10 year old mower I don’t use any more sod have replaced but originally intended on keeping but at this point it’s a surplus mower. I have another raptor form 2017 which has had issues to but has been a good mower. So at this point I don’t want to take it back to the last professional lawnmower repair company who worked on it last (see my other responses) and didn’t even bother to test drive and operate in the environment in which it has issues. So at this point I will try whatever this forum suggests (outside of major engine stuff) or just sell cheap, donate it or give it away. The engine model number is Kawasaki Fr691V BS24 from 2013. Hustler model number is 931899. Thanks for any advice y’all can give.