036 Pro rebuild

deminin

Threads
I have an old 036 Pro which seized up the last time I used it. I took it apart, and found a broken ring, which did a number on the piston/cylinder. Today, I got a packet of parts to rebuild it...piston, rings, cylinder, etc., and will dive into this over the weekend. I have One question. The piston has an "arrow" stamped into the top, and the service manual says this "arrow" should go to the "right". Well, Duh...left/right depends upon how the saw is sitting on the workbench. There is a picture that seems to show the arrow pointing towards the Exhaust Port, but the picture is very small, and indistinct. The old piston top is pretty well burned with carbon, so I can't really use it as a reference. Sooo...If someone has rebuilt a Stihl, and can verify which direction this Arrow should point, it might save me installing the piston BassAkwards. Thanks, in advance.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Normally the arrow points to the exhaust, but to be sure, look for the locating pins for the piston rings, they point to the
narrower intake, so the edges of the rings don't ride over an open port.

deminin

Threads
Normally the arrow points to the exhaust, but to be sure, look for the locating pins for the piston rings, they point to the
narrower intake, so the edges of the rings don't ride over an open port.

Yeah, I fitted the rings onto the piston, and it looks like the locating pins straddle the intake port, and this also puts the "arrow" at the exhaust side. I'm not going to get a serious start on this until Sat. when the rains are supposed to start, and this will make a good indoor project. I'm 99% sure that the arrow points to the exhaust, but the more verification of this I receive, the less likely that I will make a mistake.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I fitted the rings onto the piston, and it looks like the locating pins straddle the intake port, and this also puts the "arrow" at the exhaust side. I'm not going to get a serious start on this until Sat. when the rains are supposed to start, and this will make a good indoor project. I'm 99% sure that the arrow points to the exhaust, but the more verification of this I receive, the less likely that I will make a mistake.

Let me look at my manual in my Stihl Mediacat, I'll post a pic of the page here.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
DSCN6261.jpg

Here is a pic of a page out of mediacat

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, you would love a good copy of the Mediacat, mine is a 2012 copy, so the new units are not on it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had some of my hacker buddies try to crack the newer versions, but Stihl must have hired better hackers......

deminin

Threads
View attachment 22718

Here is a pic of a page out of mediacat

Yup, the upper left picture and verbiage says the Arrow goes towards the exhaust port...that's the way I will assemble it. I don't know why the "official" Stihl repair manual doesn't make that simple step a bit clearer...I guess some things get lost in the translation. The way the weather forecast is looking for the next few days, I should have plenty of "shop" time to put this together, and get this old workhorse running good again. I have a big outdoor wood furnace, and cut about 8 cords of oak each year, so I always like to have a spare chainsaw on hand when I get into cutting season...just in case.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 036 is one of my favorites, real nice saw.

deminin

Threads
The 036 is one of my favorites, real nice saw.

I got it put back together. while I was doing the rebuild, I took a look at the worm gear that drives the oil pump, and it was showing signs of wear, so I went to the local Stihl dealer and got one of those. I got it running yesterday afternoon, and it fired right up on the 3rd pull. I let it idle for several minutes, then goosed the throttle a bit several times, and it didn't make any funny noises, so I must have done it right. I plan to run it a few minutes every few days, to break it in a bit before I put it to any serious work, then cut some small stuff before I tackle any big trees...once the weather cools down later this Fall.