Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
Have you done compression tests after everything was put back together ?
Are you sure you are getting spark now (no safety switches open) ?
Did watch the video !

Maybe a STUPID question -- Did you put oil in to required level (low oil switch) ?
Have you checked all your fuses after the rebuild ?

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
Have you done compression tests after everything was put back together ?
Are you sure you are getting spark now (no safety switches open) ?
Did watch the video !

Maybe a STUPID question -- Did you put oil in to required level (low oil switch) ?
Have you checked all your fuses after the rebuild ?

Thanks for the help Mr. Brown,
I have spark, it pops even louder now w/new plugs and fuel getting to them.
I dont think there is a safety switch issue. The seat is over ridden, the PTO switch wont even turn the engine over when it is on, the brake is on and engine wont turn when not on, the oil is fresh and at required level. I have NOT checked fuses, I figured I wouldnt have fuel and fire if a fuse was blown. Compression is 150 on both cylinders.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont think there is a safety switch issue. The seat is over ridden, the PTO switch wont even turn the engine over when it is on, the brake is on and engine wont turn when not on, the oil is fresh and at required level. I have NOT checked fuses, I figured I wouldnt have fuel and fire if a fuse was blown. Compression is 150 on both cylinders.
Maybe it's time to step away from it for a while, stand back and stroke your chin drink a beer or otherwise reduce the intensity. It's an engine after all and it will run.... eventually.
I don't know what the problem is but I get the feeling it's something you have not even considered.

boatman

Threads
Maybe it's time to step away from it for a while, stand back and stroke your chin drink a beer or otherwise reduce the intensity. It's an engine after all and it will run.... eventually.
I don't know what the problem is but I get the feeling it's something you have not even considered.

I agree with you, I am going to have a beer, take the wife to dinner, then look at it tomorrow.
Thanks so much for your time on this!

mullins87

Threads

The fact that the engine is turning over tells me all the safety switches have been either defeated or overridden. Every rider I've had in the last 20 years wouldn't even turn over unless the clutch was disengaged, the PTO off and me sitting in the seat.

After seeing your video, it makes me think of an old Snapper LT16 that I have. It would run perfectly for about 45 minutes, then quit like I had shut if off with the key. It would crank over just like yours, but would never fire. I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and replaced the ignition system....no change. The compression was around 145 on each cylinder, it was getting fuel and the spark looked strong enough. However, it still ran for about 45 minutes and then quit. Finally I got so frustrated with it that I parked it and bought another one.

Fast forward about 4 years to last winter. I decided to build an offset mower to pull behind the JD. I decided to use the deck off that LT16, and thought I'd give the engine one last try before I went and bought a new motor. I pulled it off the tractor, cobbled together enough wiring and a fuel system to make it run. Guess what, it ran perfectly. Something in the wiring on that old tractor frame was heating up and killing the motor. I never have figured it out, just glad the engine works.

My point.....disconnect all the wiring on the engine from your mower frame. All you'll need is some way to get power to the starter, and a wire to kill the spark when your ready to shut it down. Using a solenoid will make starting it less dramatic. I'm assuming everything mechanical has been triple checked. It's obvious you've got air and fuel, the only thing left is ignition. Something is killing your spark.

BTW: A blown fuse will not affect spark or fuel delivery on that engine.

mullins87

Threads
Just watched your video again and noticed the engine has separate ignition coils. That rules out getting the plug wires reversed.

boatman

Threads
The fact that the engine is turning over tells me all the safety switches have been either defeated or overridden. Every rider I've had in the last 20 years wouldn't even turn over unless the clutch was disengaged, the PTO off and me sitting in the seat.

After seeing your video, it makes me think of an old Snapper LT16 that I have. It would run perfectly for about 45 minutes, then quit like I had shut if off with the key. It would crank over just like yours, but would never fire. I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and replaced the ignition system....no change. The compression was around 145 on each cylinder, it was getting fuel and the spark looked strong enough. However, it still ran for about 45 minutes and then quit. Finally I got so frustrated with it that I parked it and bought another one.

Fast forward about 4 years to last winter. I decided to build an offset mower to pull behind the JD. I decided to use the deck off that LT16, and thought I'd give the engine one last try before I went and bought a new motor. I pulled it off the tractor, cobbled together enough wiring and a fuel system to make it run. Guess what, it ran perfectly. Something in the wiring on that old tractor frame was heating up and killing the motor. I never have figured it out, just glad the engine works.

My point.....disconnect all the wiring on the engine from your mower frame. All you'll need is some way to get power to the starter, and a wire to kill the spark when your ready to shut it down. Using a solenoid will make starting it less dramatic. I'm assuming everything mechanical has been triple checked. It's obvious you've got air and fuel, the only thing left is ignition. Something is killing your spark.

BTW: A blown fuse will not affect spark or fuel delivery on that engine.

Thanks for your help and time Mr. Mullins, I will try your suggestion on d/c all "extra" wiring tomorrow after church, It sounds worth a shot. On the fuse issue, I will check all fuses tomorrow as well. Thanks again for everyones suggestions!!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any difference in the sound it makes if you spray starting fluid into the carb while cranking it over? With the choke and throttle plates open...
:smile:KennyV

boatman

Threads
Is there any difference in the sound it makes if you spray starting fluid into the carb while cranking it over? With the choke and throttle plates open...
:smile:KennyV

Hey Kenny,

I just tried, YES, it makes a difference, it is getting in the cylinder cause it is a much louder backfire thru the carb. It sent the dog in the house!

boatman

Threads
Just and UPDATE:
I have now tried the starting fluid in the carb, just back fires louder.
I have checked ALL wiring, disconnected different switches (seat, pto, brake), appears as there is no oil shut off switch.
I have checked the one and only 30amp fuse.