Mower deck Stuck Bearing

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's very interesting to know. So do you know when it was phased out so I know for the next deck restoration I do?

Thanks.

No ignore that last one.
just checked and its available 」20 + vat each.
Never replaced one though.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Westwood mowers aren't common here in the USA and 2 piece bearing housings are probably less common. That's interesting enough to me I'd sure like to see a picture of the 2 piece housing if you have the time.

This is 1 half of the housing

Attachments

• Part5100.jpeg
    Part5100.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 12

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
They have stopped making them years ago. They have gone to a single housing now.
It was a tin housing that had a bearing and sat on 1 side of the deck and another housing that was on the other side of the deck with a shaft through the middle.
So I'm guessing here the bearing races of both bearings contacted the deck? If not, is there a tubing spacer between the bearings inner races?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I'm guessing here the bearing races of both bearings contacted the deck? If not, is there a tubing spacer between the bearings inner races?

Yes there is tubing Spacer. forgot to mention that.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The bearing are a light press fit on to the shafts and housings. The proper way would be to use a press with adapters to fit the bearings. Seeing I don't have this in my shop I use a large hammer and brass rod to take it apart in a mechanics vice. Once I have everything apart I clean every thing with sand paper. To put it back together I use a hammer and the vice as a press where I can. I use sockets to push on so when installing the bearing I am pushing on the bearing races and not the bearing balls.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking there is a corrosion problem between the inner races and shaft. All I've worked on of this basic style the shaft to inner race fit was a slip fit.

cfmechanics

Threads
Right, I have just had another go at getting the bearing off using everyones suggestions and I have just found out that on the shaft there is a very small lip which is stopping it from coming off. Does anyone know how I can get it past this lip and also when installing the new bearing how to get it over the lip again?

Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right, I have just had another go at getting the bearing off using everyones suggestions and I have just found out that on the shaft there is a very small lip which is stopping it from coming off. Does anyone know how I can get it past this lip and also when installing the new bearing how to get it over the lip again?

Thanks
I think I'm gonna have to have a good picture of that. My imagination is blank on that one.:biggrin:

cfmechanics

Threads
I just quickly went out to my workshop to take a couple of pictures. One is from above with the bearing stuck on the shaft. Another is from the side with a line pointing to where the bearing keeps getting stuck.

Hope this makes sense to someone... :laughing:

Attachments

• shaft lip.png
    shaft lip.png
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • P1060185.jpg
    P1060185.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 20

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm thinking there is a corrosion problem between the inner races and shaft. All I've worked on of this basic style the shaft to inner race fit was a slip fit.

If your bearing have a loose slip fit I would say you have something worn out. They should have a light press fit to the very lease. You might be able to install them by hand but if there is no resistance at at all that isn't good. I personaly like a good tight press fit that I have to press the bearing on unless its on something like a wheel bearing.