Briggs 17.5 HP, OHC Engine Locks Up!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds about right.
Counterweights outnumber rod failures about 4 : 1.
Good to ear you are getting somewhere.
However please do us a favour and don't quit your current job for open heart surgury :laughing:

brchad

Threads
Sounds about right.
Counterweights outnumber rod failures about 4 : 1.
Good to ear you are getting somewhere.
However please do us a favour and don't quit your current job for open heart surgury :laughing:

ROTFLMAO1.gif

brchad

Threads
Sorry it's been a while since I reported back.... but I haven't had much time to work on the "Bloody Briggs" until the last few days.

Here's where we stand at the moment. GOOD NEWS!! The engine is assembled.... mounted to the mower. (The new lower seal... NOT leaking oil ... always my fear!) but MOST of all... the engine rotates freely... and the valve decompression (cam) is WORKING! YEAH!!! I should have the full results soon.

In the meantime.... I think I missed one STEP in my sage advice in an earlier post: "For me, the three most important steps of the process are: 1.) Make sure you fully understand the nature of the problem... symptoms, timing, etc. 2) Double check ALL assumptions. (False assumptions can spoil and chance of success.) 3.) Investigate by process of elimination."

I should have added another step: 4.) Make sure to remember where "things" came from.... so you can put them back in the same place! :ashamed:

I have the wiring harness all attached correctly.... not a big deal, right? There are two wires (clipped together) that run under the engine (I think). One actually branches off to TWO wires... one with a circular ground connection and a plastic connector. I know for certain where the ground connection goes.... and I know that the other plastic one goes to the carb shutoff. I'm damned if I can figure out where the other one goes.

The "other one" is a BLACK wire... with a two-wire white plastic connector. SHEESH! I've looked everywhere (forget B&S manual) ..... does ANYONE know what that wire is... and where it goes?

Thanks!

Bill (Thankfully NOT doing open heart surgery!)

Anyone know how this part "Intake Manifold Gasket 79608" fits.... or what it's for? It was installed "as built" when new.... but does that mean it actually belongs there.... or that it was installed correctly. If it does belong... I would assume that the manifold o-ring would need to seat onto the metal side and the gasket side to the intake? Again... forget about the manual... if it's in there.... I haven't found it.

796081.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the bottom of the carb is a fuel shut off solenoid which usually has a white plug with 2 wires.
One is +12 with the ignition on, the other is a ground wire, usually with a ring terminal on it that goes onto one of the engine cover retaining screws, under the cylinder which is not easy to get at with the engine in the mower.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no reference of that type of gasket in the parts list for that engine that I can see, unless they modified it later from the parts list that I have, if the black wire is coming from the stator then it could be the AC out (lights) which is shown on the B&S electrical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a restrictor gasket.
It is used to reduce the size of the carb venturi thus reducing the flow of air through the carb.
One of the ways they reduce the Hp of larger engines to make smaller Hp ones.
Toss it if there is one with a completely round hole in it.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Whenever I work on something, no matter if I have the manual or not, (unless it's really simple like changing a light-bulb..:laughing:..:laughing:) I always take pictures, BEFORE & during disassembly, it becomes my failing memory tool , really saved me headaches many times, as we all know, the manuals leave a lot to be desired ( but cost-wise) understandable, I TRY to relay that anybody doing a repair job.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry it's been a while since I reported back.... but I haven't had much time to work on the "Bloody Briggs" until the last few days.

Here's where we stand at the moment. GOOD NEWS!! The engine is assembled.... mounted to the mower. (The new lower seal... NOT leaking oil ... always my fear!) but MOST of all... the engine rotates freely... and the valve decompression (cam) is WORKING! YEAH!!! I should have the full results soon.

In the meantime.... I think I missed one STEP in my sage advice in an earlier post: "For me, the three most important steps of the process are: 1.) Make sure you fully understand the nature of the problem... symptoms, timing, etc. 2) Double check ALL assumptions. (False assumptions can spoil and chance of success.) 3.) Investigate by process of elimination."

I should have added another step: 4.) Make sure to remember where "things" came from.... so you can put them back in the same place! :ashamed:

I have the wiring harness all attached correctly.... not a big deal, right? There are two wires (clipped together) that run under the engine (I think). One actually branches off to TWO wires... one with a circular ground connection and a plastic connector. I know for certain where the ground connection goes.... and I know that the other plastic one goes to the carb shutoff. I'm damned if I can figure out where the other one goes.

The "other one" is a BLACK wire... with a two-wire white plastic connector. SHEESH! I've looked everywhere (forget B&S manual) ..... does ANYONE know what that wire is... and where it goes?

Thanks!

Bill (Thankfully NOT doing open heart surgery!)

Anyone know how this part "Intake Manifold Gasket 79608" fits.... or what it's for? It was installed "as built" when new.... but does that mean it actually belongs there.... or that it was installed correctly. If it does belong... I would assume that the manifold o-ring would need to seat onto the metal side and the gasket side to the intake? Again... forget about the manual... if it's in there.... I haven't found it.

View attachment 34795

Here's a few pics of MY Briggs 17.5 OHV eng. wires, the 2 wires going under my starter (one black, one violet) are for the head-lights, hope this is of some help, DSCN1947.jpg...DSCN2464.jpg...DSCN2465.jpg...DSCN2477.jpg...DSCN2478.jpg

brchad

Threads
Here's a few pics of MY Briggs 17.5 OHV eng. wires, the 2 wires going under my starter (one black, one violet) are for the head-lights, hope this is of some help, View attachment 34801...View attachment 34802...View attachment 34803...View attachment 34804...View attachment 34805

Ahhhh Boobala to the rescue! Great idea about photos during dismantle! (I'm 70, but I think my memory is about 90+!)

See this picture I altered from your list. BINGO??

DSCN2477a.jpg

Much appreciated!

Bill

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
GREAT ! Bill, glad to be of help, yep, I'm up there too! turn 71 on Dec. 14th, thanks for the credence on my pics, this is exactly why I tell folks to do the same !! I had the hood off cleaning the machine to sell it, that's why the conn. was swingin in the breeze, I REALLY wish I knew how to add the arrows and circles to my pics, I'm just not very savvy with my puter, (just enough to be dangerous) ( LOL ) anyway I'm following your progress and can't wait till it's runnin again, hoping you keep us up-dated all the way through . Have a GREAT day, ...later ... Boobala