JD LT 155 will not turn off

NoTTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere LT 155 lawn tractor. When I turn the key to the "off" position, it turns off the engine but continues to buzz as though it was in the "on" position prior to engaging the starter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As per below, this stops when I sit in the seat.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The buzzing noise is a duff relay.
put your finger on each one and the offender will be obvious.

Pumper54

Threads
NoTTD,

Just in case you are not fluent in Australian slang what Bert was saying is it sounds like you have a relay going out. If you touch each one you should be able to feel the vibration from the contacts opening and closing rapidly. If you can't do that for a while you might pull the negative battery cable just to be safe.

Tom

NoTTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
NoTTD,

Just in case you are not fluent in Australian slang what Bert was saying is it sounds like you have a relay going out. If you touch each one you should be able to feel the vibration from the contacts opening and closing rapidly. If you can't do that for a while you might pull the negative battery cable just to be safe.

Tom

Tom - Where and what are the relays? ( I immediately disconnected the negative cable to save the battery charge.) If I find one oepning and closing rapidly, is that the bad one? I'm assuming so.

Forgot to mention: This stops when I sit in the seat.

Thanks.

Also, G'day to /bert, and ta.

NoTTD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the help. Found the problem. Wire from the disconnected, by me, headlamps had lose its insulation due to heat, and was touching the frame. Cut it back and taped off. Fixed.

Also disconnected the seat kill switch while I was at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a good idea to disconnect the seat switch as it is the only one that actually is usefull to protect you and others around you.
It forces you to put the brake on when getting off which is a good thing and should something horrid happen to you, stroke, seasure etc etc and you fall off it stops the mower running wild where ever it will travel.
John Deer do an excellent manual that actually shows exactly where they hid all those bits they do not want Joe Public to play with, and exactly how to test them with only standard home owner level tools.

Pumper54

Threads
What Bert said about the seat switch, that is kinda important, better to fix it then not have it when you need it.
Tom