Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I should have looked here before I posted, newbie mistake.

My new to me, 1990 White AWS has an issue with the steering gear "jumping" teeth.
I have looked at it, cleaned it, realigned it, but it still jumps, it is sloppy like is described above.

I will have to follow some of the posts and attempt to "tighten" things up.
My gear set up looks the same as in the first images in this thread.

Robin

Below is what I posted in the other thread:

I have just become the owner of a 1990 White 4WS Ride on.
It needed some work done on it as it appeared to have been unloved by its previous owner.
So far I have replaced tyres, recovered the seat and repainted the bonnet.
And oil change, new mandrill for the cutting deck, new bearing in the other mandrill, and have on hand new rear universals, the old ones have no needles in them.
I will replace them over winter.

I have an issue with the gears where they mesh underneath the steering box.
It keeps jumping teeth, the gears and sprockets do not appear to be worn, but maybe they are.

I am sure others will have had this issue.
Any pointers wellcome

Chances are good that the steering shaft bushing is worn out.
This sits above the pinion gear, on the top side of the steering support bracket.
It has a hex-shaped pilot that indexes into the steering support bracket.
That bushing gets worn and will not keep the pinion in constant contact with the fan gear, allowing teeth to jump as you describe.

This is all supposition on my part....a model # would help.
See the diagram I posted in post #5 to see if it resembles your mower.
The bushing I refer to is #21.

Cheers!

Threads
Chances are good that the steering shaft bushing is worn out.
This sits above the pinion gear, on the top side of the steering support bracket.
It has a hex-shaped pilot that indexes into the steering support bracket.
That bushing gets worn and will not keep the pinion in constant contact with the fan gear, allowing teeth to jump as you describe.

This is all supposition on my part....a model # would help.

Cheers!

Thank you, I think the bushing is a little different on my Ride On.

When I take the steering box away from the sprocket, there is the gear that meshes with the sprocket.
It has a bushing that has very fine splines on both ends.
One end fits up into the steering box, and the other end slides down on to the gear that meshes with the sprocket.

It does appear that the sprocket is a little floppy moving up and down.
As this was my first look into the mechanism I only cleaned it, I have not removed the sprockets to inspect them closely.

Lot/Model MFG-Date
130-786G190/F220B4

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you, I think the bushing is a little different on my Ride On.

When I take the steering box away from the sprocket, there is the gear that meshes with the sprocket.
It has a bushing that has very fine splines on both ends.
One end fits up into the steering box, and the other end slides down on to the gear that meshes with the sprocket.

It does appear that the sprocket is a little floppy moving up and down.
As this was my first look into the mechanism I only cleaned it, I have not removed the sprockets to inspect them closely.

How about a model # ?

Threads
How about a model # ?

See above, maybe edited it in after you posted.
Taken of the plate/sticker on the back of the machine.
Lot/Model MFG - Date
130-786G190 F220B4

And yes, the diagrams in Post 5 look just like my machine.
I think we are talking about different bushings, the one I was refering to is 74.
I am still looking for 21

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Robin,

Here is the diagram for your mower. It is the same mower as mine. Mine is labeled as a YardMan AWS and is a 1996. As an aside, my 96 deck had the same mandrel as a '98 and I purchased it in March of '96. My manual doesn't show the correct spindle and mandrel thus it was fun getting them a couple of weeks ago.

Now, here is your diagram: http://www.partstree.com/parts/whit...-lawn-tractor-42-deck-1990/steering-assembly/

You will have a plastic bushing below your steering gear: 941-0225 (replaces 741-0225)
You will have a gear sitting at the bottom of the steering shaft: 717-1700 Pinion Shaft

Start there and replace them first. By then, Ron should now be able to walk you thru the next steps. You learn by teaching.

Max

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya beat me to it, Max.
Same advice I would have given,except maybe to have YOU walk him thru it!! (Ha ha)

That is a different setup from mine indeed.
But the hex nosed bushing is still probably the worst culprit.

Good luck!

mhavanti

Threads
If you noticed, his ole "White AWS" is assbackards to my YMAWS. Mine is on the right, his on the left. Other than that, same dance. He should be able to flip his steering shaft gear one time to access new area on it's teeth. He'll definitely need the bushing that sits on top of the deck that the shaft rotates thru. I'd also say replace the bushing behind the dash as that also keeps the bottom bushing from premature wear. I know, ya'll thought I was going to say something else.

Threads
You guys are champions.

Thank you so much.
I will study carefully, remove the steering assembly again and check for the worn parts and replace as necessary, and as per your comments.

Overhere, NZ, I was told all parts are now obsolete, which I found is not true, I found the rear axle universal shafts through Shanks in the US.

And I found the Hex nut you are talking about in the diagram.
But if I read the diagram properly the gear you mention is not available, but we shall see.
First I need to remove it and see what it looks like.

And I guess the hex nosed bushing can be sleeved if I can not immediately find the part over here.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you noticed, his ole "White AWS" is assbackards to my YMAWS. Mine is on the right, his on the left. Other than that, same dance. He should be able to flip his steering shaft gear one time to access new area on it's teeth. He'll definitely need the bushing that sits on top of the deck that the shaft rotates thru. I'd also say replace the bushing behind the dash as that also keeps the bottom bushing from premature wear. I know, ya'll thought I was going to say something else.

You understand the coriolis effect, no??

Threads
You understand the coriolis effect, no??

No I don't but right and left, all the same to me when I am sitting in the middle,
bit like my racing car!

Except the gear lever is on the right/wrong side!