The Daily Yardman Thread

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

In a dusty environment I use a dry lube like lithium spray grease. I use at least 2 cans a year. I love the stuff.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

In a dusty environment I use a dry lube like lithium spray grease. I use at least 2 cans a year. I love the stuff.

I use to have a "dry - lubricant" ( powdered graphite ) it came in a hypo-dermic needle type applicator ... have'nt seen it in local
stores lately though, maybe because it was like using (anti-seize) it went everywhere.. when you squeezed the tube !! ..:frown:
It's not exactly the easiest area to keep clean ....when NEW .. the carb. had a small foam-rubber sleeve around the spring body,
but they soon deteriorate .... guess it's just something we have to live with unless you disassemble the carb. and remove some diameter from the choke shaft by sanding or small file ...Boobala

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: The last Chapter..

Boo,

Do you think that may be what causes my single cylinder B&S to 'surge' like it does? I don't think I left that spring or any external parts of the carb cruddy. Maybe the problem is internal?

Rog

AHhhh .... don't you fret now Pilgrim... we gonna have that lil ol engine runnin like a scalded A** ape before ya know it !!!
Lets start with a tear-down .. if you are REALLY careful , you might get away with buyin just a few items, instead of a
$45.00 re-build kit... clik on the link and go through the steps.. Now don't you worry Pilgrim .... we gonna be lookin over your shoulder all the way thru this ... here's that link.....http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

N don't forget to hold your mouth right !!! ( LOL ) ..:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Pumper54

Threads

Any one that is looking for good "dry lube" check out your local bicycle shop for the small packages of cable lube. I found some that were perfect for my motorcycle's cables and ran me about 25 cents each pack. One pack per cable and it was all good to go.
Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dry Lube - Cable Lube

Any one that is looking for good "dry lube" check out your local bicycle shop for the small packages of cable lube. I found some that were perfect for my motorcycle's cables and ran me about 25 cents each pack. One pack per cable and it was all good to go.
Tom

Tom,

The throttle cable on my boat has gotten 'sticky' over the years and I have been wondering if after I get it home if I couldn't lubricate it somehow. I have no idea how one would get the lubrication inside the surrounding jacket..

Roger

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

What I have done is to put the red straw at one end of the cable and taped the crap out of it then spray till it comes out the other end. White lithium grease spray can.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

What I have done is to put the red straw at one end of the cable and taped the crap out of it then spray till it comes out the other end. White lithium grease spray can.

Chuck,

I have done something similar with less sealed up sliding cables, but because this was designed to be used in a marine environment, the exterior jacket that protects the cable within, is sealed around the fittings on both ends with very little space in which to inject any sort of lube. I won't really know what I'm up against until I get the boat home and tear into it. I'll give it a go though.. If it's do-able, I'll do it!

Thanks,

Roger

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
IF you can remove the hole cable assembly from the boat and then have a place to hang it you might be able to extend the cable out the top as far as you can and then apply the lube to that part, slide it back in , pull it out and repeat, that way you will start working the lube a little bit at a time down the cable and gravity will help. Have done motorcycle cables like that before.
Tom

Pumper54

Threads

Looks like the #7 Special Pork Fried Rice is the menu item of the day.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger,
IF you can remove the hole cable assembly from the boat and then have a place to hang it you might be able to extend the cable out the top as far as you can and then apply the lube to that part, slide it back in , pull it out and repeat, that way you will start working the lube a little bit at a time down the cable and gravity will help. Have done motorcycle cables like that before.
Tom

Tom,

Just getting the cable out of the boat will be quite a project as it was installed when the boat was built and runs under the deck through wire ways that can no longer be accessed. I'm concerned that it may have had additional wiring tie-wrapped to it which would make it nearly impossible to remove.

When I added an extra battery for everything aboard except starting the engine, I located it in the console on advice of the boats manufacturer. However, all the wiring had to be run back to the lazarette and it was fairly difficult just to get two runs of #6 cable back there. Same with the transducer cable which was a bugger as it had a connector on the end of it. Everybody tie-wraps wiring to throttle, shift and steering cables, because they are stiff and make a solid place to fasten stuff. If it is all tie-wrapped together, I'm going to be in a pickle.

However, if I DO get it out, I will try your suggestions, because I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Thanks,

Roger