Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . . .

G_TX

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . . .
Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . . .

Hi, first time poster here. I’ve been reading here for a while, and have so far found a lot of good advice in my research for a mower.

So the engine on our riding mower finally crapped out (the infamous Kohler Courage). We have always wanted a Zero Turn and I guess it’s now or never. We will be maintaining about 2 to 2 ½ acres with the mower. I know most of you guys are professionals and use commercial grade units. I would love to get one, but it really looks like you have to spend at least $6,000 or more to get into one of those. I would really like to stay around $4500 to $5500 for a mower with 52" cut. So, it looks like we will probably have to stick with a residential grade mower. I have looked at many brands so far, and have been comparing their features (build quality, engines, hydros). I am kind of leaning towards Scag, Snapper and Gravely, but open to anything.

So my questions are regarding these 3 different residential grade engine series; Kawasaki FR series, Kohler 7000 series and Briggs & Stratton Commercial series. These 3 seem to power just about all of the units that I have looked at in this price range. I know that most people will be biased towards or against a certain brand, but I just want to know (of these particular series) if I should avoid one because it has common major issues, or if I should choose one because it has been shown to last longer. Thanks for any input you may have.

John R

Threads
  • / Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . . .
Re: Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . .

I have a Scag and I'm very happy with it.

Try all of the ones your interested in, then buy the one that calls out to you.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not buy a mower just because of the engine.
I like the Kohler because they have lasted the longest for me. But if I like a mowers deck and other features I will buy it. If it has a Briggs or a Kawasaki engine.
All three make good engines. Like with anything you will get a bad one sometimes.
For a homeowner cutting 2 acres I say just get the mower you like.

G_TX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Known major problems; Kohler 7000, Kawasaki FR, Briggs & Stratton Commercial . .

After looking at many different mowers, I am leaning towards one of the following;

Snapper 550Z 52" (Engine Options = Kawasaki FR730V, 24HP or Briggs & Stratton Commercial Series, 25HP)
Gravely ZT HD 52" (Engine Options = Kawasaki FR691V, 23HP or Kohler 7000 series, 25HP)
Skag Freedom Z 52" (Only one engine option = Kohler 7000 series, 24HP)

I wouldn't base my choice on only what engine they had, but with the Snapper and Gravely there are a couple of engine choices. This is why I am curious if one of these engine series has had major issues or would last longer.

The Snapper and Gravely both have ZT-3100s, and the Skag has ZT-2800 but it also weighs less. The snapper does have greasable spindle bearings, but not sure if this will make them last longer, as it is still a residential series mower. They all seem to have heavy chain-hung mower decks. All three have 20" drive tires, the Gravely and Snapper have 13" front tires with the Skag having 11" front tires.

So all three mower options appear to be well made and similar in many ways, with the biggest difference between them being what engine to go with . . . this is why I ask if there is one that I should avoid. I have read here that many of B&S Commercial series have developed oil leaks, but not sure if that should sway my opinion of them. Thanks again for the help.

Sgreenlee6

Forum Newbie
Threads

After looking at many different mowers, I am leaning towards one of the following;

Snapper 550Z 52" (Engine Options = Kawasaki FR730V, 24HP or Briggs & Stratton Commercial Series, 25HP)
Gravely ZT HD 52" (Engine Options = Kawasaki FR691V, 23HP or Kohler 7000 series, 25HP)
Skag Freedom Z 52" (Only one engine option = Kohler 7000 series, 24HP)

I wouldn't base my choice on only what engine they had, but with the Snapper and Gravely there are a couple of engine choices. This is why I am curious if one of these engine series has had major issues or would last longer.

The Snapper and Gravely both have ZT-3100s, and the Skag has ZT-2800 but it also weighs less. The snapper does have greasable spindle bearings, but not sure if this will make them last longer, as it is still a residential series mower. They all seem to have heavy chain-hung mower decks. All three have 20" drive tires, the Gravely and Snapper have 13" front tires with the Skag having 11" front tires.

So all three mower options appear to be well made and similar in many ways, with the biggest difference between them being what engine to go with . . . this is why I ask if there is one that I should avoid. I have read here that many of B&S Commercial series have developed oil leaks, but not sure if that should sway my opinion of them. Thanks again for the help.

Interested what you ended up going with in the end and how it worked out. I'm in the market for a 48" zero turn (downsize from my 60") have had 2 kawasaki engines in my 2 hustlers and uncertain about the kohler 7000s. Thanks in advance.

Jack17

Threads

NorthBama

Threads

Wow Bluetooth also

cruzenmike

Threads

So I was getting some lumber for my project the other day and stumbled onto this beast: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...-Mower-with-Bluetooth-RZT-L-46H-FAB/206495430

Can a "residential" guy ask for anything better then that?:thumbsup:

I too have been intrigued by this mower. My local Home Depot finally has one on display and I can say that the front wheels and foot platform are beefy looking. I am a big fan of Honda small engines and would have liked to see this engine in something other than a Cub Cadet; maybe a Toro or Husqvarna. I think the biggest turn-off is the reverse mower lockout that has to be defeated via key and button and the fact that there is no engine guard. Otherwise, if the engine is what you want, this is the only model short of the 42" stamped deck that you can get it on.

cruzenmike

Threads

As for engines, I cannot say much as I just got into to the rider market, but I do know that my Briggs ELS with the "Nikki" carb may be known for having surging issues and need to be rebuilt after some time; at least mine does.

Jack17

Threads

I gave it a "once over" and only thing I didn't like about that set up was the 2200 hundred series transmissions. I'd pay more $ for 3400's if they were available. Other then that...I liked it!