New Hustler SD with engine issues

Jim in Ga

Forum Newbie
Threads
I first tank of gas on my Hustler SD Kohler 7000 stop running when gas level was about half full. I spent hours on the internet trying to find out why it would not pump fuel from the tank. Replaced pump and filter, but still would not pump fuel from tank to crank. For some reason or another I decided to fill the tank to full position. Well, it cranked. Why is it only uses half it fuel capacity before having to refuel? The specs say it is a 3 gallon tank. At this rate I will always have old gas in the tank.

mhavanti

Threads
Check to see if your tank's fuel cap is vented and if so, did it get drilled completely through? If not, it may be using up all the air above the fuel and when it does, the fuel pump can not pull fuel any longer. Run it again until it stops, open the fuel cap slowly in a quiet location and see if you hear a vacuum sound. Even if you can't hear it, see if the engine will fire up once again and if so, you've found the problem.

Good hunting.

Max

Dpmulvan

Threads
Hey guys,
I had this same problem last year when I bought my hustler. They told me ohhh it's the gas cap, then I found out about the casting flaw. After several calls to Hustler and local dealers not being able to fix,It was three weeks without a mower and without a solution. Everyone from dealers to Hustler to kohler blew me off I finally freaked out and emailed hustler telling them if they didn't resolve my issue I was going to tell my story on every forum and every social media outlet. A few days later a brand new mower was delivered with a Kawasaki motor. Mike Stocker the territory manager for upstate NY had been on vacation through my turmoil, but returned early and took care of me. I blame the local shops for most of this along with kohler. When I finally got to talk to a higher up at Hustler they did the right thing and took care of me. I have had a kohler command 18hp for years and it's been a good mower, but now I would never buy another kohler motor there junk. Kohler Knows there's a problem with their motors but doesn't want to spend the money to make things right. Their choke system is junk their quality is well below Kawasaki. To those with this problem keep fighting, go to the Hustler website and email them. If you make enough noise they'll take care of you.

mhavanti

Threads
Gas cap problems can be solved with a drill bit about .015 and the choke problem can be adjusted. I'm not a new Kohler design fan, however, I don't think its a bad engine. Just needs to have air above the fuel and the automatic choke adjusted and it will run for years.

Glad you were taken care of.

Max