Export thread

New Hustler SD with engine issues

A

Axys

Hi guys, Well I have 9 hours on my new SD 54" and the engine is sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel or too much. Bought it from a dealer so Monday I will give him a call. I like the mower but not to impressed so far with this engine. Any thoughts what it could be?

T

turboawd

you forget the choke on? maybe partially?
bad fuel?
kohler or kawasaki?

N

neetan

Check the air filter, a friend of mine got the sears unit and found the air filter had plastic/paper still around it. Plus is it not time for a oil change, I found on mine the engine ran much better.
Send the dealer a Video and have him look before he come's out to pick up. Hope it helps!

A

Axys

It has the Kohler 7000 engine. Filter looks like new. Called the dealer today and he told me to drain the fuel and add sea foam. It ran great for about a hour and then it started to shut down like it was not getting enough fuel. Engine never quit running, it would pick up and then do it again. I will change the fuel and give it try again. Its frustrating when you buy a new mower and it runs like this.

Thanks guys

K

kraky

There's been reports on the Kohler 7000 engine of a casting flaw that somehow affects the functionality of the fuel pump. I don't think it's very widespread but the problem seems to be out there on occasion. I'm under the impression that kohlor is aware of the problem and there may even be a service bulletin out there.

A

Axys

Thanks Kraky, Yeah I herd that too. I hope that is not the problem, but I'am thinking good chance it is.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I would also check the automatic choke to see if it opening all the way. If it isn't, that will make it run rough and possibly put gasoline in the oil. It will certainly wash down the cylinders.

A

Axys

Thanks mhavanti, PM sent

D

DJ660

They need to remove engine blower housing and make sure the choke air vane can mover freely, seen a few were the ignition coil kill wire would make contact with air vane and not let air vane have its full range of travel.

M

MARK TOWNSEND

Hi guys, Well I have 9 hours on my new SD 54" and the engine is sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel or too much. Bought it from a dealer so Monday I will give him a call. I like the mower but not to impressed so far with this engine. Any thoughts what it could be?

I JUST GOT A NEW ONE AND ITS DOING THE SAME THING.THEY PICKED MINE UP 2 DAYS AGO.ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY FIND.

J

Jim in Ga

I first tank of gas on my Hustler SD Kohler 7000 stop running when gas level was about half full. I spent hours on the internet trying to find out why it would not pump fuel from the tank. Replaced pump and filter, but still would not pump fuel from tank to crank. For some reason or another I decided to fill the tank to full position. Well, it cranked. Why is it only uses half it fuel capacity before having to refuel? The specs say it is a 3 gallon tank. At this rate I will always have old gas in the tank.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Check to see if your tank's fuel cap is vented and if so, did it get drilled completely through? If not, it may be using up all the air above the fuel and when it does, the fuel pump can not pull fuel any longer. Run it again until it stops, open the fuel cap slowly in a quiet location and see if you hear a vacuum sound. Even if you can't hear it, see if the engine will fire up once again and if so, you've found the problem.

Good hunting.

Max

D

Dpmulvan

Hey guys,
I had this same problem last year when I bought my hustler. They told me ohhh it's the gas cap, then I found out about the casting flaw. After several calls to Hustler and local dealers not being able to fix,It was three weeks without a mower and without a solution. Everyone from dealers to Hustler to kohler blew me off I finally freaked out and emailed hustler telling them if they didn't resolve my issue I was going to tell my story on every forum and every social media outlet. A few days later a brand new mower was delivered with a Kawasaki motor. Mike Stocker the territory manager for upstate NY had been on vacation through my turmoil, but returned early and took care of me. I blame the local shops for most of this along with kohler. When I finally got to talk to a higher up at Hustler they did the right thing and took care of me. I have had a kohler command 18hp for years and it's been a good mower, but now I would never buy another kohler motor there junk. Kohler Knows there's a problem with their motors but doesn't want to spend the money to make things right. Their choke system is junk their quality is well below Kawasaki. To those with this problem keep fighting, go to the Hustler website and email them. If you make enough noise they'll take care of you.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Gas cap problems can be solved with a drill bit about .015 and the choke problem can be adjusted. I'm not a new Kohler design fan, however, I don't think its a bad engine. Just needs to have air above the fuel and the automatic choke adjusted and it will run for years.

Glad you were taken care of.

Max