Raptor SD 36

mhavanti

Threads
Question, file it under serious please.

Why would you purchase a 36" ride on mower for a 3/4 acre yard rather than just make a larger gate for a few dollars and then purchase a 60" mower and be done in half a hour with your entire yard front and back?

Ok, thanks.

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably because the 60" deck will only be able to mow 1/2 the yard because all the trees are too close to the fence or the shed or the car port or the garage or all 3 and the swimming pool is the minimum 48" from the fence so 60 won't go there either or around the flower beds, the BBQ pagola and the hot tub.

Could not count the number of customer who upgraded from the std 32" to 48 deck for a big 60" only to find it takes twice as long to mow and the deck scalps everywhere.
He has a 3/4 acre block so unless he is living in a motor home there would not be any more than 1/2 acre to mow max.
If it was 4 acres and he had a football field lawn things would be different.

Then there is servicing
54" is the biggest that will fit on my trailer and to take a 60" mower the trailer deck will either be over the top of the wheels so difficult to drive on & off or in most places the trailer will need to be custom built.
So he will either have to pay a small fortune for pick up and delivery, get a fool like me to work mobile at his place or do the servicing himself.

Standard trailers down here are 6 x 4 and take out the space for ramps. 42" is around the max deck.
A 36 " deck will fit happily on a golf buggy trailer and down here they are dirt cheap.

jfpointer

Threads
Probably because the 60" deck will only be able to mow 1/2 the yard because all the trees are too close to the fence or the shed or the car port or the garage or all 3 and the swimming pool is the minimum 48" from the fence so 60 won't go there either or around the flower beds, the BBQ pagola and the hot tub.

Could not count the number of customer who upgraded from the std 32" to 48 deck for a big 60" only to find it takes twice as long to mow and the deck scalps everywhere.
He has a 3/4 acre block so unless he is living in a motor home there would not be any more than 1/2 acre to mow max.
If it was 4 acres and he had a football field lawn things would be different.
In a nutshell. Some yards are more obstacle than yard.

Nsptgadget

Forum Newbie
Threads
Question, file it under serious please.

Why would you purchase a 36" ride on mower for a 3/4 acre yard rather than just make a larger gate for a few dollars and then purchase a 60" mower and be done in half a hour with your entire yard front and back?

Ok, thanks.

Max

1. Because I'm not trying to spend a few hundred dollars and additional time and effort to expand my staked in wooden gates. My gate stretches 38 inches when it's open, the Hustler 36 was perfect to fit thru the gate and is perfect for 'my application.'

2. That's awesome that you have a 60 inch, but I also didn't need to spend as much on that mower compared to my 36. I took the savings and bought beer. :licking: I'm also pretty sure my 36 cuts better than your 60, i hardly have scalping.

3. If and when I decide to sell this machine, i'm sure the commerical guys around me would much rather have a 36 fitting thru gates like mine than a 60 which is only useful for the front yard. I potentially will have more folks looking at my 36 than your 60. Not saying that the commerical guys would buy my little tank, but I've seen residential ZTR's on there trailers here in Texas and they ain't 60's.

4. Serious question? Your question was asked so that you could feel better that your 60 incher is longer.. right? :confused2:

mhavanti

Threads
No Sir, I don't have to feel good about myself because I may or may not have a larger deck cut. If you're happy with the 36 why would you give a shyte what anybody else thinks?

My time is valuable thus, I'll get the lawn mowed and get on to other things. The cost per square foot mowed is less with a larger cut and my unit doesn't scalp. Sorry to disappoint.

Sorry you may have felt slighted because you have a tiny deck.

Nsptgadget

Forum Newbie
Threads
No Sir, I don't have to feel good about myself because I may or may not have a larger deck cut. If you're happy with the 36 why would you give a shyte what anybody else thinks?

My time is valuable thus, I'll get the lawn mowed and get on to other things. The cost per square foot mowed is less with a larger cut and my unit doesn't scalp. Sorry to disappoint.

Sorry you may have felt slighted because you have a tiny deck.

If I'm not mistaken, it was you who decided to slight someone about the deck size first, and now you wanna be passive aggressive and say who cares what anybody else thinks? Yeah, I'll keep my tiny deck instead of being a pompous 'DICK!':thumbdown:. Your valuable time should teach you some manners. As$ Wipe

mhavanti

Threads
Well Sir, you are very mistaken. I didn't slight you or anyone with a little deck. I asked a question about the time utilized with that much yard. Sorry you have such a low regard for yourself that you feel slighted when asked a serious question.

I'd have just given you my explanation for purchasing a smaller deck rather than feeling you were giving me disrespect for my choosing a larger deck and needing to use my time in more valuable ways.

Again, if I have "insulted" you, that was not my intention. Sometimes you might consider reading a comment before you go off on tangents that are not helping you or anyone else. There was already one comment that I'm fairly sure set the tone for your thinking. However, I didn't take their comment as a personal afront and a couple of private messages asked me why I didn't reply in like manner. No sense in being a Butt in these forums and again, my intention was not slighting you.

Good day, Sir.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
No need to turn this into a big deck competition, guys. Plus it's not how big it is but how you use it that matters. :laughing:

mhavanti

Threads
lol, that was the point of my question. How are these folks using it compared to the size of the gate, closeness of trees, lot straight, etc. Folks will be folks.

There is a restaurant in Little Rock, AR. called Cajun's Wharf. The restaurant is a high end restaurant with live music, excellent food, atmosphere and overall a great experience for most that stepped thru their doors.

For about 5 years there was a paddle wheel steam ship that really hit Cajun's Wharf hard and someone suggested they build a huge deck jutting out over the Arkansas river. I'm not going to say who, however, someone suggested to a radio station in Little Rock that although both dining experiences are great with pretty much the same amenities. Cajun's Wharf actually had much more dance space considering their three dance floors trumped the Delta Queen's single dance and dining floor.

As I mentioned, someone said on air during an interview with aforementioned radio station: You don't need a big boat, if, you have a big deck. From that point on and until today, some 30 years later. You don't need a big boat if you have a big deck.

The joke stuck and finally ended up pushing that restaurant back to the front of the line simply because the boat experience eat up so much of the diner's time to get a reservation, wait on shore until the boat returned from the last diners and there were certainly more things involved. Even without the funny observation, eventually the paddle wheeler would have succumbed to it's own time consumption of diner's time.

To the fella with the 36" deck. I must apologize for asking the question although there was no malice of intent to insult or slight the width of your cutting surface.

Everyone enjoy your day.

Max