Export thread

Raptor SD 36

L

Lafitte

Hi Folks,
Just purchased a new Raptor SD 36 for my yard work. Upgraded from a Cub Cadet LTX1046KW. Impressions so far;
1. A bit disappointed that Kawasaki engine no longer available. However Kohler 7000 series seems ok.
2. Unit does a great job cutting grass. A bit of a learning curve in ZTR driving , but am getting better.
3. Changed the oil/filter at about 4 hours with dino 10w-30.
4. Need to purchase a blanking plate to eliminate side discharge chute for mulching clippings. (did same on Cub Cadet) Any sources/suggestions ?
5. Anybody else have the 36" cut ? I got it due to trees and gates in my yard.

:cool:

Carscw

Carscw

Hi Folks, Just purchased a new Raptor SD 36 for my yard work. Upgraded from a Cub Cadet LTX1046KW. Impressions so far; 1. A bit disappointed that Kawasaki engine no longer available. However Kohler 7000 series seems ok. 2. Unit does a great job cutting grass. A bit of a learning curve in ZTR driving , but am getting better. 3. Changed the oil/filter at about 4 hours with dino 10w-30. 4. Need to purchase a blanking plate to eliminate side discharge chute for mulching clippings. (did same on Cub Cadet) Any sources/suggestions ? 5. Anybody else have the 36" cut ? I got it due to trees and gates in my yard. :cool:

My feelings are the kohler is a upgrade from the Kawasaki. The power curve is so much better.

M

michigan_Rapter sd

I upgraded to the sd 54 from a cub lzt50 - it is a bit different but cut is way better. kohler is strong but way louder. just changed by oil at 4.5hrs too - the Hustler is built a lot stronger than the cub and the blades are way heavier steel. in so many ways a big upgrade for us except reading the reviews of the hustler bagger has me holding off on getting that - we only used it about twice a year on the cub but it was handier than the sweeper

N

Nsptgadget

Hey and I thought I was the only one in this world that has a new Raptor SD 36 inch.

I needed a ZTR to fit through my small back yard gate that leads to a mostly flat, 3/4 acre yard on common Bermuda.

I was pushing my Husqvarna push mower in Texas heat (>95 degrees) weekly and I hated it! It took me 3 hours from start to finish (Edge, trim, mow and blow). Now it takes me about an hour max, leaves me more time to fertilize the yard to make it grow more so I can cut more often, lol! :thumbsup:

I was looking really hard at the Gravely Compact Pro 34, Raptor SD 36 and a Toro MX3450; I test drove each, I really liked the Gravely but it was out of my budget (6K for the commercial unit). I thought Toro was OK, however read that a lot of folks didn't like the engine on the MX, TORO engine. I drove the SD and thought it was perfect for my residential lawn application.

I paid 3650 out the door with a engine guard and mulch kit. I found a dealer who couldn't sell it because all his customers prefer 42 inch or larger ZTR's. I told him that I'd pay cash and he gave me a good deal (I think?).

This is my first ZTR and I don't know too much about small engine motors, but I thought the Kohler had more power and speed vs the TORO. The Gravely is definitely in it's own class (commercial unit) and was awesome all around, but couldn't justify paying 6K for the mower and Kawi engine. If only money grew on trees. I'm getting close to my first oil change at 5 hours, and really looking forward on servicing the mower myself except I'm a little worried about trying to take the oil filter off. Other folks have said that Superman put on the oil filter at the factory and requires putting a screw driver through it to turn break it loose.

My neighbors have come out to ask questions when I mow my lawn with the RD 36, they say the cut is awesome and it looks great. When they ask home much I paid for the machine, I turn the question back on to them and asked them how much they pay per year for lawn service in the Texas heat. One neighbor mumbled around 40 per week x 10 month long season, math comes out to be around 1600-2000 per year. Like I said, I've been mowing with a push mower for two years saving up for this mower. When I jumped back on to the RD 36 to continue mowing, I could see it in their face how much they resented the fact that I brought up how much they were spending on lawn care.

About a week later, one of the neighbors had delivered a Toro SS 4225 Time cutter he bought at Home depot. I saw him happy as can be mowing his front lawn, but he came over and knocked on my door and asked if I could cut his back yard cause he neglected to actually get a mower that fit through the gate. :laughing:

All in all, I really like my 36, it's a small yellow tank. Wouldn't want anything larger for my application. Hope you enjoy yours also!

L

Lafitte

update:
Now have 2 seasons experience. Have added an exhaust baffle ( was burning lawn if left stationary for awhile ),engine guard and a mulching kit. Replaced blades after one season withOregon G3 mulching blades.They are way heavier and seem to cut well

B

Bigmks

i have a 36" as well. I love my small tank! only problem I've had was a leaky front castor tire. Green Slime fixed the problem. Im getting close to coming up on 1st oil change but is has been so rainy here in South Carolina. I had to us my push mower the last few cut. The mower is pretty solid and will leave tracks on the yard if its wet. So far enjoying purchase. (engine and mulch kit installed around 4K for total purchase)

Attachments

N

Nsptgadget

update:
Now have 2 seasons experience. Have added an exhaust baffle ( was burning lawn if left stationary for awhile ),engine guard and a mulching kit. Replaced blades after one season withOregon G3 mulching blades.They are way heavier and seem to cut well

Hi Lafitte,

Are you using the Oregon G3 mulching blades with your mulching kit? I was thinking to use either the G3 or G5 blades, but everyone on these forums don't recommend Gator blades with factory mulch kit, they were designed for side discharge.

Can you please enlighten me with your current set up and how's it's working out for you?

Andy

mhavanti

mhavanti

Those 36" Raptors are just plain cute. lol

L

Lafitte

Hi Lafitte,

Are you using the Oregon G3 mulching blades with your mulching kit? I was thinking to use either the G3 or G5 blades, but everyone on these forums don't recommend Gator blades with factory mulch kit, they were designed for side discharge.

Can you please enlighten me with your current set up and how's it's working out for you?

Andy

They seem to be working well. Cut is smooth and chops clippings very fine.

J

jfpointer

My Raptor SDs are both 60" units, but I do have a little Dixon SpeedZTR 30 for those tight spots. Being able to get through pretty much any gate and maneuver in tight areas is handy sometimes.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Question, file it under serious please.

Why would you purchase a 36" ride on mower for a 3/4 acre yard rather than just make a larger gate for a few dollars and then purchase a 60" mower and be done in half a hour with your entire yard front and back?

Ok, thanks.

Max

B

bertsmobile1

Probably because the 60" deck will only be able to mow 1/2 the yard because all the trees are too close to the fence or the shed or the car port or the garage or all 3 and the swimming pool is the minimum 48" from the fence so 60 won't go there either or around the flower beds, the BBQ pagola and the hot tub.

Could not count the number of customer who upgraded from the std 32" to 48 deck for a big 60" only to find it takes twice as long to mow and the deck scalps everywhere.
He has a 3/4 acre block so unless he is living in a motor home there would not be any more than 1/2 acre to mow max.
If it was 4 acres and he had a football field lawn things would be different.

Then there is servicing
54" is the biggest that will fit on my trailer and to take a 60" mower the trailer deck will either be over the top of the wheels so difficult to drive on & off or in most places the trailer will need to be custom built.
So he will either have to pay a small fortune for pick up and delivery, get a fool like me to work mobile at his place or do the servicing himself.

Standard trailers down here are 6 x 4 and take out the space for ramps. 42" is around the max deck.
A 36 " deck will fit happily on a golf buggy trailer and down here they are dirt cheap.

J

jfpointer

Probably because the 60" deck will only be able to mow 1/2 the yard because all the trees are too close to the fence or the shed or the car port or the garage or all 3 and the swimming pool is the minimum 48" from the fence so 60 won't go there either or around the flower beds, the BBQ pagola and the hot tub.

Could not count the number of customer who upgraded from the std 32" to 48 deck for a big 60" only to find it takes twice as long to mow and the deck scalps everywhere.
He has a 3/4 acre block so unless he is living in a motor home there would not be any more than 1/2 acre to mow max.
If it was 4 acres and he had a football field lawn things would be different.
In a nutshell. Some yards are more obstacle than yard.

N

Nsptgadget

Question, file it under serious please.

Why would you purchase a 36" ride on mower for a 3/4 acre yard rather than just make a larger gate for a few dollars and then purchase a 60" mower and be done in half a hour with your entire yard front and back?

Ok, thanks.

Max

1. Because I'm not trying to spend a few hundred dollars and additional time and effort to expand my staked in wooden gates. My gate stretches 38 inches when it's open, the Hustler 36 was perfect to fit thru the gate and is perfect for 'my application.'

2. That's awesome that you have a 60 inch, but I also didn't need to spend as much on that mower compared to my 36. I took the savings and bought beer. :licking: I'm also pretty sure my 36 cuts better than your 60, i hardly have scalping.

3. If and when I decide to sell this machine, i'm sure the commerical guys around me would much rather have a 36 fitting thru gates like mine than a 60 which is only useful for the front yard. I potentially will have more folks looking at my 36 than your 60. Not saying that the commerical guys would buy my little tank, but I've seen residential ZTR's on there trailers here in Texas and they ain't 60's.

4. Serious question? Your question was asked so that you could feel better that your 60 incher is longer.. right? :confused2:

mhavanti

mhavanti

No Sir, I don't have to feel good about myself because I may or may not have a larger deck cut. If you're happy with the 36 why would you give a shyte what anybody else thinks?

My time is valuable thus, I'll get the lawn mowed and get on to other things. The cost per square foot mowed is less with a larger cut and my unit doesn't scalp. Sorry to disappoint.

Sorry you may have felt slighted because you have a tiny deck.

N

Nsptgadget

No Sir, I don't have to feel good about myself because I may or may not have a larger deck cut. If you're happy with the 36 why would you give a shyte what anybody else thinks?

My time is valuable thus, I'll get the lawn mowed and get on to other things. The cost per square foot mowed is less with a larger cut and my unit doesn't scalp. Sorry to disappoint.

Sorry you may have felt slighted because you have a tiny deck.

If I'm not mistaken, it was you who decided to slight someone about the deck size first, and now you wanna be passive aggressive and say who cares what anybody else thinks? Yeah, I'll keep my tiny deck instead of being a pompous 'DICK!':thumbdown:. Your valuable time should teach you some manners. As$ Wipe

mhavanti

mhavanti

Well Sir, you are very mistaken. I didn't slight you or anyone with a little deck. I asked a question about the time utilized with that much yard. Sorry you have such a low regard for yourself that you feel slighted when asked a serious question.

I'd have just given you my explanation for purchasing a smaller deck rather than feeling you were giving me disrespect for my choosing a larger deck and needing to use my time in more valuable ways.

Again, if I have "insulted" you, that was not my intention. Sometimes you might consider reading a comment before you go off on tangents that are not helping you or anyone else. There was already one comment that I'm fairly sure set the tone for your thinking. However, I didn't take their comment as a personal afront and a couple of private messages asked me why I didn't reply in like manner. No sense in being a Butt in these forums and again, my intention was not slighting you.

Good day, Sir.

M

Muhammad

No need to turn this into a big deck competition, guys. Plus it's not how big it is but how you use it that matters. :laughing:

mhavanti

mhavanti

lol, that was the point of my question. How are these folks using it compared to the size of the gate, closeness of trees, lot straight, etc. Folks will be folks.

There is a restaurant in Little Rock, AR. called Cajun's Wharf. The restaurant is a high end restaurant with live music, excellent food, atmosphere and overall a great experience for most that stepped thru their doors.

For about 5 years there was a paddle wheel steam ship that really hit Cajun's Wharf hard and someone suggested they build a huge deck jutting out over the Arkansas river. I'm not going to say who, however, someone suggested to a radio station in Little Rock that although both dining experiences are great with pretty much the same amenities. Cajun's Wharf actually had much more dance space considering their three dance floors trumped the Delta Queen's single dance and dining floor.

As I mentioned, someone said on air during an interview with aforementioned radio station: You don't need a big boat, if, you have a big deck. From that point on and until today, some 30 years later. You don't need a big boat if you have a big deck.

The joke stuck and finally ended up pushing that restaurant back to the front of the line simply because the boat experience eat up so much of the diner's time to get a reservation, wait on shore until the boat returned from the last diners and there were certainly more things involved. Even without the funny observation, eventually the paddle wheeler would have succumbed to it's own time consumption of diner's time.

To the fella with the 36" deck. I must apologize for asking the question although there was no malice of intent to insult or slight the width of your cutting surface.

Everyone enjoy your day.

Max