Raptor Review

lynxridge

Threads
Seems like with your satisfaction with your Grandstand you would consider a Toro Titan(especially the MX series). IMHO, a hands-down better ZTR that the Hustler Raptor SD or it's predecessor the Sport and would make a great addition to your fleet(and you know that Toro has one of the best warranties in the business).
Your right, though, I would worry about the FR series holding up under commercial use(the Toro website isn't specific, but it seems to me that the Titan MX comes with the FS...Heavy Duty....Kawasaki).

P.S.
The 54" doesn't have an engine guard/shroud...only the 60". I find that a bit chinch on Hustler's part(you definitely would have to purchase the guard "option" for mowing commercially. Also, the plastic spindle pulley covers are a real turnoff(for me:0)
I seem to remember getting advice when I was looking to avoid those(Bad Boy also has plastic.....another reason I didn't get that Outlaw, thank goodness:0)

The Raptor SD pictures on the Hustler website are the 60". Only the 60" comes with the engine guard. I too think it is kind of stupid that the engine guard doesn't come standard on all models.

MRCo.

Threads
The Raptor SD pictures on the Hustler website are the 60". Only the 60" comes with the engine guard. I too think it is kind of stupid that the engine guard doesn't come standard on all models.
Consider that hustler are trying to deliver the best product they can to a certain dollar amount. Some things have to be cut, like metal pulley covers, like the engine guard. If the mower were $200 more to add these as standard everyone would complain that the price was high. It's a hard balance to strike. Engine guard is $69, 5 mins to fit. If you mow near no bushes, etc you don't need it and you get better air flow for cooling. If you back in to bushes while mowing, get one. It's half the price of the fuel shut off solenoid it protects. On avoiding plastic pulley covers- they are nothing intrinsically bad or problematic, they are just an indicator of the mower being a lower level model, as it's cheaper than metal. They do their job- keep you safe from the belt and pulley- just fine.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Consider that hustler are trying to deliver the best product they can to a certain dollar amount. Some things have to be cut, like metal pulley covers, like the engine guard. If the mower were $200 more to add these as standard everyone would complain that the price was high. It's a hard balance to strike. Engine guard is $69, 5 mins to fit. If you mow near no bushes, etc you don't need it and you get better air flow for cooling. If you back in to bushes while mowing, get one. It's half the price of the fuel shut off solenoid it protects. On avoiding plastic pulley covers- they are nothing intrinsically bad or problematic, they are just an indicator of the mower being a lower level model, as it's cheaper than metal. They do their job- keep you safe from the belt and pulley- just fine.

That is unless you accidentally step on them getting on/off the mower. A couple of times doing that by a 150-200 lb rider would most likely result in the expense of a replacement. It's one thing on a lawn tractor that has foot panels on each side for stepping on/off, but a ZTR would be more difficult to avoid stepping on the pulley cover. Just my two cents worth.

MRCo.

Threads
That is unless you accidentally step on them getting on/off the mower. A couple of times doing that by a 150-200 lb rider would most likely result in the expense of a replacement. It's one thing on a lawn tractor that has foot panels on each side for stepping on/off, but a ZTR would be more difficult to avoid stepping on the pulley cover. Just my two cents worth.

Who steps on the deck? The Raptor SD is a low sitting machine you can step on and off without a step up. Next.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You should always step or mount and dismount a ZTR at the front of the mower not the sides. never step on the deck.

serelaw

Threads
A person can step on some decks.
A person can mount from the side.
Just because someone types it does not make it so.
There are exceptions to every rule.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
A person can step on some decks.
A person can mount from the side.
Just because someone types it does not make it so.
There are exceptions to every rule.

The thing is there is no need to step on a deck of any ztr when it's simple to get off and on the mower using the front. Why take a chance and possibly damaging something when there's know need.

serelaw

Threads
The thing is ..not all zero turns are the same.
Some have steering wheels for example.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should always step or mount and dismount a ZTR at the front of the mower not the sides. never step on the deck.

I don't know about you guy's ZTR's(or the length of your stride) but stepping "over" the 52" deck on my Gravely to get on it would be a BIG step(and possibly dangerous). That's the first time I've seen advice that suggests that all ZTR's should be mounted at the front, but I have seen some that this would be kinda difficult to do based upon the front fork and foot plate design/height. Granted, I do from time to time when cutting and have to get off in a tight area(no room on left side of mower) mount/dismount from the front of my Gravely, but under normal circumstances I use the pulley cover step. Besides, it has a raised perforation steel cover on the left side of the deck(from the sitting position) that is "specifically" designed as a step. When my deck height is set, the deck is extremely stable and doesn't budge when my 170lbs steps on it. I would agree that some of the less expensive ZTR's that don't have chain hung decks may not recommend using the deck for getting on/off, but I'm glad mine is made for that. Makes getting on/off REAL easy. Are there any other users that have "designed steps" on their particular ZTR???

P.S.
You may notice that I originally stated "accidentally stepped on the plastic pulley cover". Some owners may briefly "forget" if they are in a bit of a hurry and step off the left side:0(