Honda 20HP Starting Issue

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So it was the coil after all...! happy to know that you have her running now.:thumbsup:

Tom59

Threads
Glad you got it squared away.....now your wife can use the hair dryer for her hair! :wink:

cjj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like several folks here have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.

Look, you can say what you want but when I make an honest attempt to refine the information on the problem and question the responses I am receiving, you don't have to launch an attack. 60 years of experience apparently hasn't given you the knack for civil discussion on a internet board. Flaming me is your right but it doesn't earn you my respect or trust in your comments regardless of how much experience you may have. Your assumption that the dealer - MECHANIC to be correct here, knows his stuff is a big leap in faith. You have no knowledge of his experience level or what he has experience in for that matter. As I stated - the majority of the equipment that I have seen in their shop is larger heavy equipment such as Bobcat loaders and large tractors - as you should know that is far from the same thing as a lawnmower engine. When I had my mower in their shop they expressed no interest in resolving the problem and dismissed it as some phantom problem. As I have already determined on this board and a couple of other places, this is not a one, off issue. At least one other poster on this board had a similar problem. That might have provided me the help I needed IF that person had ever posted what he did to resolve the issue or IF he ever did find a solution.

The evidence points to an electrical problem. Fuel flow is fine, Switches are working but on those days when the weather has been damp, something in the ignition system is not connecting. AND with very few exceptions, the improbable solution of using a hair dryer has worked. The question I have posed is does anyone have a clue as to what on the back of a Honda V-Twin engine would be collections moisture to the point of causing a failure of the system. I can certainly replace both coils but spending about $100.00 parts just on a suggestion is not something I consider an easy or great decision. Throwing money at a problem isn't the way I was raised and I think that most folks who post on here are also looking to save turning their equipment over to a mechanic to do a hunt for a problem such as this. I would expect that a mechanic experienced in small engines, especially Honda brand engines would have run across this problem before. Apparently those who have are not on this board or haven't checked in here yet.

my hustler doing the same thing with the 20hp honda engine. check the rectifier at the connection , that's what was wrong with mine. corrosion at the connection.