ZTR won't Start

csmdew

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a M5424s ztr and several yrs ago it started to click sometimes before it would actually start. After maybe a few clicks to many clicks it would then start like nothing wrong. Sometimes it acted like flywheel had missing teeth. Then is would work perfectly for a few starts and after I ran some marine gas thru it it started better than ever until this month. Last week it clicked 200 plus times but never cranked. So I tried moving all the items with safety switches and still click, click, click even with me off the seat. So I figured that the seat switch was maybe the problem and I tried tracing the wire back and came to large harness. After just touching the harness every sound stopped and I get nothing happening. Solenoid, starter and battery are good but nothing happens when I turn the key now. If seat switch to see if that is not the problem where should I start, thanks. Not very good with electrical and carbs but everything else I can handle and follow instruction well if illustrated since I'm a old retired vet. Would really appreciate some help on this, thanks.

csmdew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found 1 switch not plugged in to the L lateral connector and had been barely hanging on for months it appears, since was packed with dirt. Cleaned and reconnected and now mower will click 1-50 times and then start. Maybe 1 time or 50+ times but eventually it starts. Done this for better part of 2 yrs just usually not that many clicks. Battery good and charges while running but I believe it may be the starter, thoughts.

Solved problem, was in fact a bad solenoid that only wanted to work when it was ready. Replaced and now first turn of key starts it, thanks.

Last edited:

csmdew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back to same problem, after mulching leaves yesterday the mower now will not start. Turn key and nothing happens. Checked and all switches are connected but nothing happens. Anyway to bypass all switches to see if it will start. Even jumping solenoid it cranks but will not start which seems to me it would indicate a safety switch problem. Any ideas.

Cancel my help call, seems nut to rocker for bracket had come loose and was not hitting the safety plunger.

Last edited: