ZTR recommendations

Threads
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and like what I see so far. I am thinking about purchasing a ZTR but am restricted to a 38" or smaller deck due to my 1999 Tacoma PreRunner bed not holding any bigger as well as my storage building's door width.

This really drops my choices way down. The only ones that I have seen that come under the 38" deck is from Dixon, Toro, Simplicity, Snapper, Ariens, and Gravely. These all fall in my price range of around $2500 but there is not a local dealer for Ariens or Gravely with 50 miles of my hometown in upstate SC.

I really liked the Gravely the most from the choices I saw but like to purchase within easy driving distance in the event I need to take it in.

If money wasn't an issue, I like the Ferris Evolution but a $5000 mower is bit out there.

I currently have a Toro lawn tractor with 16 hp 38 in deck that I am thinking about giving to my son who got married and has a new house.

Thanks for any input and advice,
PMD

Parkmower

Threads
I think Husqvarna makes a 38" also. Start by talking to your local dealers. They should be able to help you out with what you need.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and like what I see so far. I am thinking about purchasing a ZTR but am restricted to a 38" or smaller deck due to my 1999 Tacoma PreRunner bed not holding any bigger as well as my storage building's door width.

This really drops my choices way down. The only ones that I have seen that come under the 38" deck is from Dixon, Toro, Simplicity, Snapper, Ariens, and Gravely. These all fall in my price range of around $2500 but there is not a local dealer for Ariens or Gravely with 50 miles of my hometown in upstate SC.

I really liked the Gravely the most from the choices I saw but like to purchase within easy driving distance in the event I need to take it in.

If money wasn't an issue, I like the Ferris Evolution but a $5000 mower is bit out there.

I currently have a Toro lawn tractor with 16 hp 38 in deck that I am thinking about giving to my son who got married and has a new house.

Thanks for any input and advice,
PMD

Hope you're not planning on loading a zero turn mower into the bed of a Tacoma truck...I wouldn't recommend it:0(
So, how much area will you be mowing and what's your maximum budget???

Threads
Hope you're not planning on loading a zero turn mower into the bed of a Tacoma truck...I wouldn't recommend it:0(
So, how much area will you be mowing and what's your maximum budget???

Right now it's just my yard which is about a 1/2 acre but I think I am about to start back mowing my mom's yard. The size of her yard is maybe a little bigger that mine. The size is not the problem for her so much as the amount of plants and trees she has.

Why wouldn't a ZTR fit in my truck if it is a smaller deck than my Toro 38" tractor?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right now it's just my yard which is about a 1/2 acre but I think I am about to start back mowing my mom's yard. The size of her yard is maybe a little bigger that mine. The size is not the problem for her so much as the amount of plants and trees she has.

Why wouldn't a ZTR fit in my truck if it is a smaller deck than my Toro 38" tractor?

ZTR's are "different" than a lawn tractor. With a lawn tractor, the "deck" is usually the "widest component" which is why you could maybe fit a 38" Toro lawn tractor in your Tacoma. For instance, I have a Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 152(52" deck) but the mower, at it's widest point is 67.75" wide. You had better measure your truck bed and storage shed and take a tape measure when you go shopping for a ZTR. Plus, I too drove my old lawn tractors up a ramp into my 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71' bed....but I would NEVER attempt driving a ZTR up a ramp like that into a truck bed(they weigh MUCH more than a lawn tractor). I bought a 6' X 12' Lone Wolf Trailer in case I ever needed to haul my Gravely. I would suggest you consider investing in a trailer if you will be hauling a ZTR. BTW, my last lawn tractor(a 54" Craftsman) fit just fine in my garage......my new Gravely 52" ZTR "BARELY" fits(and to think I was looking for a 60" ZTR:0) See what I mean????

txzrider

Threads
my 1st ztr was a snapper with a 33 inch deck, I was able to put it in my 94 mazda b4000 as well as my 03 avalanche. My 38 inch decked country clipper fits as well. I have noticed in the smaller decked ZTR's that in general they keep the width at the wheels not wider than the deck. Of course you will have to flip up the chute or possibly take it off. biggest issue I had was ramps... the short ones that fit in the truck bed, caused too steep and angle, had to make much longer ones to keep the angle down.

Threads
my 1st ztr was a snapper with a 33 inch deck, I was able to put it in my 94 mazda b4000 as well as my 03 avalanche. My 38 inch decked country clipper fits as well. I have noticed in the smaller decked ZTR's that in general they keep the width at the wheels not wider than the deck. Of course you will have to flip up the chute or possibly take it off. biggest issue I had was ramps... the short ones that fit in the truck bed, caused too steep and angle, had to make much longer ones to keep the angle down.

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't realize the difference between the two types of mowers. I just was looking at the deck widths. Since I started this thread, I talked to a local guy who runs a landscaping business and he said I would be better off buying another tractor than a ZTR because I could get more for my money with a tractor.

I had looked at the 20hp/38" Simpiicity Regent EX and the Husqvarna LTH2038. It's not my yard size that factors in my needs so much as the thickness of my grass. Never owned either brand but not sure if Simplicity is worth $1000 more.

txzrider

Threads
While I agree with most of what was stated above regarding differences between gt and ztr's, I would not consider trading the manerverability (sp) of a ztr for a cheaper lt/gt. and in the smaller deck sizes of ztr, I bet the weight diff is not that much. that being said on purely a cost basis, the lt are much cheaper. I will never go back. As an example when I bought my 33 " deck snapper, I mowed my house, my parents , my mom-inlaws all in a 4 hour period(including travel) using ramps(2 8 foot 2x10's ) . No way to have done that with a traditional lt.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys for the input. I didn't realize the difference between the two types of mowers. I just was looking at the deck widths. Since I started this thread, I talked to a local guy who runs a landscaping business and he said I would be better off buying another tractor than a ZTR because I could get more for my money with a tractor.

I had looked at the 20hp/38" Simpiicity Regent EX and the Husqvarna LTH2038. It's not my yard size that factors in my needs so much as the thickness of my grass. Never owned either brand but not sure if Simplicity is worth $1000 more.

If $2,899 is not out of your budget range take a look at the Husqvarna YT48XLS. If I were to buy another lawn tractor...that would be it!! It's got a Kawasaki engine, hydro tranny with a locking differential and something few lawn tractors have....a "fabricated deck"(with a lifetime warranty). The 3Year bumper-to-bumper and 5Year Chassis and Axle warranties ain't shabby either. I know the 48" may negate your ability to transport in your truck(and may not fit in your shed), but I'd keep it in the garage instead and get a cheap used trailer for hauling it. It's a beast of a lawn tractor!!! Check it out in the link below and see what you think:

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

Threads
If $2,899 is not out of your budget range take a look at the Husqvarna YT48XLS. If I were to buy another lawn tractor...that would be it!! It's got a Kawasaki engine, hydro tranny with a locking differential and something few lawn tractors have....a "fabricated deck"(with a lifetime warranty). The 3Year bumper-to-bumper and 5Year Chassis and Axle warranties ain't shabby either. I know the 48" may negate your ability to transport in your truck(and may not fit in your shed), but I'd keep it in the garage instead and get a cheap used trailer for hauling it. It's a beast of a lawn tractor!!! Check it out in the link below and see what you think:

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

Looks good. Wish I had a garage. I live in a 45 year old house that has a car port. Thanks for showing it to me though.

While I agree with most of what was stated above regarding differences between gt and ztr's, I would not consider trading the manerverability (sp) of a ztr for a cheaper lt/gt. and in the smaller deck sizes of ztr, I bet the weight diff is not that much. that being said on purely a cost basis, the lt are much cheaper. I will never go back. As an example when I bought my 33 " deck snapper, I mowed my house, my parents , my mom-inlaws all in a 4 hour period(including travel) using ramps(2 8 foot 2x10's ) . No way to have done that with a traditional lt.

That is what I was thinking. I have never used my current LT to pull anything and living in SC, won't ever need a snow plow.