Zt2800 only moves at low rpm

Grimlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
My charge pump oring was leaking so I had to take the cover off and replace it . I replaced the oil while I was at it . I filled the trans through the fill port on the side and filled the resovoir to cold level . At first I had nothing then I tried flipping the charge pump cover 180 and then tried purging again and started to get movement . The only thing is it only moves at half throttle or less . When the throttle gets above that it stops . I’ve purged it a number of times and have had it on the ground and in the air . With the tire on and it on the ground the unit will move with me on it , but above half throttle it won’t budge . Any ideas ? The unit had zero problems before i changed the oring . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Procedure I use. Jack up rear end and put it on jack stands. Put something heavy on the seat. Start engine, idle, and push both sticks forward for 30 seconds, reverse 30 seconds, neutral 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times. Increase to half throttle and repeat again. Now go to 3/4 throttle, push one stick forward and see if you can stop that wheel, repeat on other stick. If you cannot stop the wheel, remove the jack stands and try. If you can stop the wheels, repeat procedure. Sometimes it will take 2-3 tries, make sure the reservoir stays near it’s mark.

Grimlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Procedure I use. Jack up rear end and put it on jack stands. Put something heavy on the seat. Start engine, idle, and push both sticks forward for 30 seconds, reverse 30 seconds, neutral 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times. Increase to half throttle and repeat again. Now go to 3/4 throttle, push one stick forward and see if you can stop that wheel, repeat on other stick. If you cannot stop the wheel, remove the jack stands and try. If you can stop the wheels, repeat procedure. Sometimes it will take 2-3 tries, make sure the reservoir stays near it’s mark.
That’s how I was doing it by putting weight on the seat, I took the unit off the machine filled the oil from the top instead of the port on the side , and moved it at different angles to get air bubbles out . Filled it and put it back on the machine . Still nothing , I’ve purged it number of times and now I don’t even get movement at low rpm s . When I put the lever back and forth I can feel something happening in the trans like it’s trying to move . I don’t know at this point . I can’t believe I wrecked the trans by replacing oil and a oring . Is it possible the charge pump plate is suddenly bad ? I see they make updated steel plates but my trans is a discontinued model and they conveniently stopped listing parts for it . Anyone have a zt 3100 for sale ?

Grimlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
The little star gear did come out when I took the cover off , i see there’s a mark on the inner gear and a mark on the outer gear , are they suppose to line up or be opposite of each other ?

Mower King

Threads
The little star gear did come out when I took the cover off , i see there’s a mark on the inner gear and a mark on the outer gear , are they suppose to line up or be opposite of each other ?
Those marks make no difference where you put them because, as the inner spins, it spins to a different spot anyway. The charge pumps do need to be put on the correct way or the whl mtr will not move or do anything.

Grimlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve tried both directions , I got movement at low rpms last time I switched it , but as soon as I ramped you the rpms it would stop . It was also able to move the machine at low rpms on the ground so it had enough power. Don’t know what to do next . I’m hoping letting it sit will help and maybe settle out any air bubbles. Can’t afford a 800 trans . Anyone know where to get a cheap used one ? Zt 2800 or zt 3100 ?

Grimlock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I switched the charge plate back to the original way i had it and now it works .... frustrating but at least I don’t have to buy a trans .... thanks for all the help guys !