Zero Turn Z254 Shuts off.

cdarnau

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I have a Z254 and it will start, the deck will engage. But when you pull the arms in to move it, It shuts off. I replaced the seat switch today (i even tried to bypass it by removing the comb, I reinstalled the comb)

I have checked all the wiring and it looks like everything is connected. What could I be missing?

I feel like this isn't a lot of information to be giving you. I have been a GM technician for the last 20 years and feel as if I am giving you 20% of the information you need to help me. So if there is anything else you need to know, Please ask. I will get it for you right away.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

bcarwell

Threads
Hello everyone. I have a Z254 and it will start, the deck will engage. But when you pull the arms in to move it, It shuts off. I replaced the seat switch today (i even tried to bypass it by removing the comb, I reinstalled the comb)

I have checked all the wiring and it looks like everything is connected. What could I be missing?

I feel like this isn't a lot of information to be giving you. I have been a GM technician for the last 20 years and feel as if I am giving you 20% of the information you need to help me. So if there is anything else you need to know, Please ask. I will get it for you right away.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris- I also have a Z254 and have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. When it first started I could pull the RIGHT steering arm in and the engine kept running. Only pulling the LEFT arm in would kill the engine. Now pulling either arm in will kill the engine. I was told it was a switch problem (corrosion, etc.) If I put my finger in the hole in the cover where the LEFT steering arm goes down into I can feel a switch or assembly that is very, very loose compared to doing the same for the RIGHT steering arm which doesn't wiggle.

Have you had any success ? And how do you pull off the metal cover that hides what the arms are connected to under the cover ?

And do you know how to obtain a shop manual ?

I never did think it was the seat switch, as the engine only quit when I moved the arms in, leading me to believe there is some brake switch the arm is connected to. I just can't get access to it without knowing how to pull the cover off.

Bob.