Z375R For Homeowner Use (versus the competition)

zippinbye

Forum Newbie
Threads
Residential user here, needing to replace two aging garden tractor/mowers that are used exclusively to mow about 2.5 acres. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I must hire a guy to mow. Trustworthy, but his ability to maintain the machine is limited to adding gas. I think he knows what a grease gun looks like, but that's where his mechanical inclination stops. I can personally service at about four month intervals. I have had good luck with a 25 year old John Deere GT 262 with a 17 h.p. Kawasaki and manual trans - 1400 hours. It smokes on start up, but otherwise it is most often serviceable as a back-up to the primary machine, a seven year old hydrostatic drive Craftsman DYS4500 (AYP Built I think) with a 26 h.p. Intek (I alway assumed it's a B&S, but new info suggests Kohler). The Craftsman has under 250 hours, but, like the Deere, suffers from lack of routine scheduled maintenance at the proper intervals. Both these machines were great for the first few years with minimal upkeep, but reliability is suffering (understandably). Looking to replace with a ztr mower in the 50"-54" deck range. Budget is sub-$4000.

I'm weighing the John Deere Z375R against the Husqvarna Z254F and Cub Cadet ZT-1 (choice of Kohler or Kawasaki engine). These machines are all similar size and weight at more or less the same price point (Deere is +$300).

So my questions are:

1) How do these machines compare to one another?

2). Any other brands/models under $4000 that should be on my short list? JD Z500 series comes in at the very top of budget - worth the difference?

Thanks!