Z248F DRIVE

Regwal

Threads
Recently lost ground belt on Z248f mower. Belt replaced but now mower has a hard time moving. A little better in reverse but not much. No noticeable problem before belt was lost. Belt is tight and is not slipping on drive pulley. Are there any adjustments I am missing? Hope to hear from some of you experts on hydraulic motors. There is a video on you tube on repairing these unites but may be a bit much for my 84yo eye. pt# 510 37 56-01 and 510 37 56-02 , right and left. Made by Hydro Gear.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it possible that you put the wrong belt on the wrong size?

Regwal

Threads
Is it possible that you put the wrong belt on the wrong size?
No. It is on correctly and I crossed referenced the part number plus measured it. I have called many shops in my area and no one rebuilds the unit. If my sight was better I would have a go at it, instructions being on line and all parts available. Hydro Gear is mute, because they are unreachable.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have yu made sure the idler arm is not binding. On the two that I service they are bad to stick up.

Regwal

Threads
Have yu made sure the idler arm is not binding. On the two that I service they are bad to stick up.
All is working as they should. I even replace the ideler spring.

Regwal

Threads
After many phone calls yesterday, I have learned no one wants to work on these things. An hour or two searching I purchased a set for $1500 including tax and shipping with a 5 day delivery. The rest of mower is in good shape so I hope this purchase was a good move. Compared to a new one I know it is. I re-watched the repair video and it doesn't look too hard fixing, just time. I may attempt one just to say I did it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good luck. It appears the unit has 2 separate wheel hydro units. They unusually don't both fail at the same time.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd be checking all mounting bolts and alignments. Belts can wear out and simply fail, or they can fail as a result of something else breaking, sudden forces like hitting something, or being out of alignment over time. Just replacing a belt does not fix any underlying conditions that may have caused the prior one to fail.

Regwal

Threads
I am baffled too because both have failed. Only explanation I can think of is one failed and I kept using the mower until the other one failed as well. Thinking back to the day, I remember the right side being sluggish. I was spreading lawn feed, driving in an oval pattern always turning toward the right. I swear there is no other explanation and for sure one side is completely gone, and the other is almost gone. The mower has been checked out by a local shop to confirm my suspicions'. No contributing factors were discovered. Apparently, I overworked the left side once the right side became faulty, trying to beat a rainstorm. I was working about 1 acre.

Regwal

Threads
Finally the mower is running. After taking to a shop I was told both motors were bad. I searched and purchased the best deal for both and delivered to shop. After a week the shop called to say both drive motors were installed but still would not operate so they were taking it to a dealer repair shop. A week later my mower is ready. The dealer said my mower had a bad belt which was on wrong, and incorrect idler pulley. ???? I had replaced the belt when this all happened and the pulley has been on mower for years. I had checked the pulley (always) when changing belt and was okay. His number on invoice for both are the same number I used when purchasing the belt.

I am baffled to say the least. There are only two pulleys common to both motors, idler and clutch. Also there is only one way the belt can go around all pulleys. Mower does have a new belt and edler. The unit is working fine now but I'm scratching my head! If the belt was on and had tension, and turned when clutch was engaged, why wouldn't the drive motors operate correctly?