YTH2348 Blade engaging issue.

Dale539

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I pull the button to engage the blades it stalls the engine like something is locking it down but the spindles are all free so that makes me think some switch is bad any idea would be appreciated. The engine runs fine but the second I engage the rotation of the blades it kills the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually it will be because the seat switch or the reverse switch is faulty
However it won't hurt to remove the belt from the pulley and see if it still happens.
If not then the problem is in the deck .
Husqvarna print their circuit diagram in the front of the parts book which are a free download from the Husqvarna Lawn & Garden web page .
When you examine your copy you will see there are 2 separate engine kill circuits
Seat switch + PTO switch + magneto
Reverse switch + key switch + magneto

Seat switch is obviously under the seat & easy to find which is why 99% of the brain dead morons with extra large egos on You tube & face ache tell everyone to bypass the seat switch regardless of weather it is part of the problem or not.
Reverse switch is usually tucked up under the transmission and is activated by the rod that controls the F & R motion .
The reverse switch is a simple on off plunger switch & for the purpose of diagnosis can be unplugged .
Because of the afore mentioned brain dead, the seat switch can not be unplugged as it has a shorting strip hidden within the plug .
BEcause of the shorting switch, if the plug is not tightly connected then the shorting strip activates .
More than one of my customers mowers has a zip tie around the plug to keep the halves together

Dale539

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks thats good info I'll start tracing. Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also the Briggs 23hp v-twin can just have a dropped cylinder which can be tested by removing the spark plugs wires one at a time and starting the engine. When engine won't start you found a dead cylinder. V-twins runs very well off load on one cylinder it is the deck load is applied that the engine dies.

Dale539

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also the Briggs 23hp v-twin can just have a dropped cylinder which can be tested by removing the spark plugs wires one at a time and starting the engine. When engine won't start you found a dead cylinder. V-twins runs very well off load on one cylinder it is the deck load is applied that the engine dies.
Yesterday I removed the deck and the spindles all good so I cranked the mower and same thing stalled engine the second I engaged the blades (no deck under mower) so I checked the seat switch and it's good and also checked the switch under the brake pedal that's under the battery compartment and it seemed good so I crawled under the mower and checked the drive belt and idler pully's and they seem good then I tried rotating the engine over by hand turning the pully below the clutch I guess it's the crank pully and it seemed to be tight but I guess it should be I still had the plugs installed and then took a hammer and tapped on the clutch lightly and and then tried it again and low and behold the dang thing worked as it should it cranked and I pulled the blade rotation button and I heard the click and the mower kept running......have you ever heard of a clutch sticking bad enough to stall an engine? I don't really know what I done but I may have fixed it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you referring to the deck engagement clutch no I haven't. Usually if the lower bearing seizes the deck engages all the time. And if the upper bearing seizes it locks up things completely. But is possible the coil's windings are damaged from partially being shorted and binding the rotor up enough to cause problems but I have never seen it.

Dale539

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll see what happens when I put the deck back under it but while its out I ordered a new belt for it last night probably be the end of the week before I can give it a good test. Thanks for you're reply.

melvin1942

Threads
When I pull the button to engage the blades it stalls the engine like something is locking it down but the spindles are all free so that makes me think some switch is bad any idea would be appreciated. The engine runs fine but the second I engage the rotation of the blades it kills the engine.

melvin1942

Threads
Does this have a hand brake? if it does have you checked to see if it is engaged?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK
As you can see, everyone chimes in with their pet fault without reading the entire thread or working in a methodical way.
So now we have ruled out a mechanical problem on the deck.
This means that your problem has to be in the wiring itself.
By now hopefully you have your wiring diagram in hand
From it you will see that a lot of things are connected to the B & W wire that goes to the magneto.
If any one of them closes and connects the black ( ground ) wire to he B & W the engine stops .
Usually if the seat switch is bad, the engine stops when you let off the parking brake .
If this was your problem then you would not be able to drive the mower anywhere.
Although I have seen some where a bad connection on the seat switch has caused your problem but allowed the mower to move.
So pull the set switch apart then reconnect it hard .
Have you located the Reverse switch yet ?
Starting to look like the culprit