XT2 acts like it is out of fuel after 15 minutes runtime.

Threads
  • / XT2 acts like it is out of fuel after 15 minutes runtime.
Good Morning, Has anyone ever had this problem before. XT2 Kohler engine 21 horse. We go out to mow and after about 15 minutes it surges and acts like it is running out of fuel. I have taken it to our cub cadet dealer where I have always taken it. They of course didn't believe me. Couldn't get it to duplicate. So they pulled the carb, cleaned it and put on a new fuel filter. It actually runs worse. Any ideas of what to fix now???Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which Kohler 21 hp engine do you have. Model and spec numbers would be most helpful.

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Had that with a push mower, but it was in 5-10 minutes. Gas cap needed a small hole drilled in it.

1600116736611.png

Metal piece on the other side was missing.

1600116831438.png

Super easy test: open the gas cap when it starts doing it next time. If it clears, you've got a vacuum in the tank.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it pays up, remove the fuel cap, pull the fuel line off as close to the tank as you can ( must be after the pump because it has a one way valve in it ) then blow as hard as you can down the fuel line.
Problem goes away = debris in the fuel tank.
Difficult for a workshop to diagnose because they have to run the mower, blades on for the same 1/2 hour to replicate your situation.

Threads
Which Kohler 21 hp engine do you have. Model and spec numbers would be most helpful.
Turns out it is a Kohler 22hp 13APA1CS010 is this the spec number? I got it from the receipt. If not I will have to go to the mower to find it. Thanks for your time.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

Threads
The saga continues. We have bought a new gas cap. We are now on our third Cub Cadet dealer. Still have the same problems and a few new ones. After 10 minutes mowing the mower acts like it is running out of fuel, and surges from time to time. Dealer one told us that they could not get it to act up. Dealer 2 told us it was a clogged fuel filter and the air filter was dirty. So both of them were replaced. We still have the same problem. So dealer 3 (the one we bought it from) took it in also kept it for 2 and a half weeks. Came back with it had a bad coil pack. So they replaced it. Not both just the bad one. And of course it still does the same thing. 10 minutes and it is cutting out and not running well. Dealer 2 put a new deck belt on, since the old one was stretched. Well after 5 hours the new belt Part number 954-05021 Which according to cub cadet is the right belt. Is too stretched out to work. So dealer 3 is telling me number 2 put on the wrong belt. Dealer 3 has the mower back again, they are trying to figure out why the belt doesn't tighten up when the pto is engaged (manual). So I contacted cub cadet today. With them you can either chat online or they give you a phone number to the engine manufacturer. By the way Kohler's number is 1-800-800-7310. Kohler, or course grinded me for not taking it to my local dealer. Then said they would reach out to the dealer that has the mower now. All cub cadet chat could do was confirm that dealer #2 did put on the right belt. Now this is costing me about $350.00 per visit. I am getting tired quick. the mower has 378 hours on it. Any suggestions?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now this is costing me about $350.00 per visit. I am getting tired quick. the mower has 378 hours on it. Any suggestions?
Trade it in on a John Deere or Husqvarna. Buy from a servicing dealer. When out of pocket expenditures start piling up as you are describing, it’s time to unload it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This site gets around 200 posts a day & I answer about 30 or so of them.
There are about 20 or so techs who regularly answer questions and another 20 who just answer specific model or equipment type question.
Then a few hundred who are owners who answer a couple of posts a year from personal experience.
Some original posters come for sympathy, some come for arguemnts some come to vent & others come to seek help.
Of those who seek help about 1/3 will post back that the problem has been solved and about 2/3 of those will identify what the final problem was which provides future readers with a valuable asset..
We are a fairly patient lot & understand some poster are technically challenged working out which end of a screwdriver to hold and many posts go for dozens of pages while we walk people through their ordeal by mower.
However because there are a lot of time wasters who post here I for one have a fairly firm rule
If I make a suggestion and the poster does not bother to act on it then I don't waste my time with them as there are others who genuinely need and are willing to accept the help on offer .
Back on Sept 14 2020 ( that is 10 months ago ) in post # 4 I made a suggestion that would have identified fuel line obstruction by floating debris.
Same day in post # 3 Joe covered vacuum locking
Next day in post # 6 Illengine linked to a known problem with these engines

There are other diagnostic proceedures which are quite cheap that we would have gone through with you had you done us the courtsey of trying what was suggested then responding.
However not a word for near a year apart from a whinge that you have spent a fortune & still have the original problem .
So good luck with you continued dealer maserka.
You had your chance with me and you blew it

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now this is costing me about $350.00 per visit. I am getting tired quick. the mower has 378 hours on it. Any suggestions?
Trade it in on a John Deere or Husqvarna. Buy from a servicing dealer. When out of pocket expenditures start piling up as you are describing, it’s time to unload it.
Is this a 2 owner mower now? Someone cut in line?

slomo